FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting H264 is cutting image off

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Smith
Exporting H264 is cutting image off
on Jun 27, 2011 at 3:41:58 pm

Hello All,

I've got a very basic project I am working on for a client. Its a software tutorial. They provide the After Effects file for the intro and outro title sequence in 1920x1080. All I do is open up the After Effects Project file and change the title name to the correct tutorial name for each video and then export out of After Effects as 1920x1080 Quicktime movie for the intro and Outro.

They also provide quicktime files for the actual screen capture of the tutorial. These are in 1280x720 and are coming from PC. I throw everything down on the FCP timeline, I scale down the After Effects intro and Outro to the 1280X720 and "Send to" Compressor using H264.

The problem is that the screen capture of the tutorial is getting cut off by the same amount no matter what I change the sequence settings in FCP to or any of the Export settings in Compressor. I have tried to change the sequence settings several ways in FCP, (one of the sequence settings you see below) and scaling everything to the proper size before sending to Compressor. I have never seen this problem before. It doesn't make any sense because the After Effects intro and outro files are fine in the H264 export. Even the preview window in Compressor shows a perfectly fine preview no matter how I change the sequence settings in FCP.

I have kept pixel aspect ratio square because this is going out to Youtube.

One of the FCP sequence settings are:
960x720
Aspect Ratio HD 960x720 (16:9)
Pixel Aspect: square pixel Anamorphic 16:9 (checked)

MAC OS X
Version 10.5.8
2x3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
FCP 7

Adam Smith

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Exporting H264 is cutting image off
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:56:06 am

It looks like the problem is your sequence - it's an anamorphic HD sequence - 960x720. The pixels aren't square and by switching them to square in compressor,you're cutting off the sides. :D

What you need to do is create a sequence that's either prores or uncompressed at a full 720- 1280x720. Copy and paste your footage into that. That should fix it.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]