FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing Flip Video from Final Cut

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Butler
Compressing Flip Video from Final Cut
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:24:50 pm

I recently made a video in final cut compossed of a few short clips from my Flip video camera. The entire video is about 40 seconds long. It only contains those few short clips (not their audio) and audio from a comercial i got off of youtube. When I send it to compressor the progress bar makes it about 55% of the way and then virtually stops. It says its still working but has 20 hours remaining. What is the problem and how do I get around it?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compressing Flip Video from Final Cut
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:48:05 am

The solution here isn't going to be pretty.

FCP wasn't meant to ever edit the footage out of a flip camera (h.264) - the general consensus is to transcode it to prores.

I can hear you though - what do I do now?

Try exporting as a QuickTime export from FCP - Make sure it's set to Make movie self contained.

This should create a new piece of QuickTime media that Compressor should be able to handle.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing Flip Video from Final Cut
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:29:10 pm

FCPX may handle the video from a Flip camera (H.264). Once imported it will become immediately available while it transcodes to ProRes in the background (a user preference in X you should use).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]