FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression request from film festival

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack Niedenthal
Compression request from film festival
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:46:02 am

I shot my 99 minute film with a Sony PD170, so not HD, 4:3 with letterbox. When I export from Final Cut Express as an uncompressed QT .mov file it comes out to be 22 GB in size.

the film festival requested this:
As soon as possible; We would need to obtain a back up dvd screener of your film as well as one of the following options; (1) the dvd studio compressor files of your film or (2) a .mov/.avi file of your movie as it is our preference to screen films at the fest off dvd compilations and/or off of hard drives. You may mail us the file(s) as data on a dvd.

I have the DVD screener which I did with iDVD.

Should I just send the 22 GB .mov file on a thumbdrive, or should I compress it with FCE? What settings should I use to compress?

Thanks...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compression request from film festival
on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:51:05 am

[jack Niedenthal] "a .mov/.avi file of your movie as it is our preference to screen films at the fest off dvd compilations and/or off of hard drives."

.mov and .avi are containers, not codecs.

[jack Niedenthal] "I export from Final Cut Express as an uncompressed QT .mov file it comes out to be 22 GB in size."

Given your 99 minute duration and the file size, it sounds more like DV .mov, not uncompressed. DV is heavily compressed. Exporting in the timeline codec (DV in your case) is no further compression but not uncompressed.

It's dangerous for them to mention only the containers and not the codecs. There are likely many .mov codecs they couldn't play. I'll bet they'd have problems with XDCAM EX .mov for example.

I suspect they can play DV .mov but you really need to ask them because they may be expecting H.264 .mov.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]