FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Compression Issues

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Smith
DVD Compression Issues
on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:39:02 pm

Hello All,

I am in the final stretch of making a video montage of some pictures and footage from my friend's wedding. I was not at the ceremony and I am dealing with files from flip cams, DSLRS, iPhones, etc. The stills in the montage have created some problems during compression. At first, the compression files would darken some of the pictures and make black horizontal lines across the screen. I managed to fix this problem by compressing the video into a MPEG 2 (90 minutes best quality) PAL file. The next next problem was that the DVDs that I authored would play only in my macbook pro and nowhere else. Compressing the sequence again into NTSC made it playable, but the interlacing problems in the still came back.

It finally occurred to me to use the uncompressed 8-bit and 10-bit codecs to turn these image sequences into QT files so I could get rid of the interlacing problems once and for all. after compressing the first 8-bit file, I burned it to a DVD. No problem playing, no interlacing issues, but this time around the aspect ratio was off. The nice 16:9 frame was stretched vertically to 4:3. I put the sequence through compressor again, this time changing all of the settings in the geometry pad to 16:9, but the dreaded QT dialog box "not a movie file" popped up during every opening attempt.

Is there anyway to make this uncompressed file the proper aspect ratio without another compression? Or what geometry settings should I use to change the file? Any help would be wonderful.

I am working with:
FCP 6.0.6
Compressor 3.0.5
DVD 4.2.1

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: DVD Compression Issues
on Jun 19, 2011 at 8:32:56 pm

I think this is a bit hard to diagnose - you've done some workaround that are 'stop don't do that' moments.
- Compressing it to an MPEG2 PAL, compressing it back to NTSC...going to 10 bit uncompressed.

I think you really need to go back and examine what the problems are and have us help you solve for that, rather than solving for your workarounds.

I'm trying to sum up your problems to make sure I understand them:
Some images (jpgs) were shifting in luminance (getting brighter/darker)?

Was all the video Standard def? Was it all at 29.97? The more we know, the more we have a possibility of helping.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]