FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video is 23.97 FPS but showing up as 7.69 FPS when inspected, how to fix?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Martin
Video is 23.97 FPS but showing up as 7.69 FPS when inspected, how to fix?
on Jun 13, 2011 at 7:47:58 pm

why are the master video files I just received in 23.97, but showing up in Quicktime, VLC, MPEG Stream, PC inspector and other software as having a 7.69 FPS???

The opening slate reads 23.97, and after compressing, I deduced that they are indeed 23.97 FPS! I re-compressed them with the "keep current frame rate" and it's revealed as having 23.97 frame rate.

I'm wondering if this is something unique to how the post house is outputting these, it's also in an Apple Animation codec... could this be related to the codec? A pc trying to output to apple animation perhaps? Ultimately for our work flow I'd like to be able to inspect the video for sure to verify frame rate. Suggestions? THANKS!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Video is 23.97 FPS but showing up as 7.69 FPS when inspected, how to fix?
on Jun 13, 2011 at 8:18:09 pm

I've seen that happen with Animation codec before. Personally I'd avoid the codec except in certain graphic uses. I'm not sure what the content of your masters are or what their intended use so I can only guess at a recommendation. I'd suggest they consider outputting 8 or 10 bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 or some other "master" codec.

I wouldn't consider Animation "master" although some might use it as a intermediary for graphics compositing. If you're doing further work with the file then you should check the frame rate in the NLE or compositing app you're on using.

Return to posts index

John Martin
on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:06:37 pm

Thanks much! I have never seen apple animation codecs used as a master video output either, especially with camera footage mixed with graphics. I'm a heavy After Effects guy and I know it's default "lossless" output is usually animation. By the way, out of curiosity, do you know why inspector is showing these videos with a 7.69 FPS and not the 23.97?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:19:30 pm

I've seen strange situations where some programs output "variable" frame rate. There's no way of knowing that's the case here. You'd need to know their workflow.

At this point I think you should have them output using another "master" codec.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:31:54 pm

Animation codec is a frame variable codec. If the video has multiple frames in a row that are the same, it will report the total frame rate as the average number of differing frames per second. That's what animation is, if you think about it. Many animations are not a fixed amount of frames per second. This translates exactly to the video codec. You can try this - export a slug of 5 seconds out of any program to Animation codec. It will likely report a weird number for frame rate. But technically it is 23.976fps. Take a random Animation codec file and open it in Quicktime Player and watch the "Playing FPS" in the info window while playing. You'll likely see that number go wildly up and down. Animation codec is super efficient FOR ANIMATIONS. For actual playing video, its only real use for ages was for video encoded with alpha channel information. As there is now ProRes 4x4, a real video codec with support for a real alpha channel, there is seemingly no need for Animation codec to be used for anything. Its current staying power has more to do with habits and legacy compatibility than anything else.

If you are concerned about the reported frame rate, and you know the actual fps, open the Animation codec file in Cinema Tools and "conform" the file to the frame rate you know it to be. It will likely report your correct frame rate in all those applications it wasn't before.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:20:50 am

Even easier, just export from QT player to ProRes at 23.976 and when you make the new clip all will be well.

If you don't and you bring it into FCP as is (with the incorrect frame rate flag) it will play at that slower frame rate and look super slo mo (about 30% speed from the actual rate).

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]