FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 Broadcast Delivery Specs Issues

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Martin
MPEG2 Broadcast Delivery Specs Issues
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:05:22 pm

In advance thanks for the help with this one... here it goes!

Foremost I've been on Final Cut suite 6 years, and now running into major issues compressing to a specific MPEG2 format for broadcast delivery. Our of compressor NONE of my mpegs will play back when, even after buying from apple MPEG2 codecs for playback.

So now I'm trying Telestream, which has MORE options and I've succeeded in exporting options that will let me playback the MPEG, but it's costly for the full version, about $500. Does anyone have thoughts on a comparable FREE VERSION of this, or suggestions on other compression software to achieve these specs?

THANKS!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: MPEG2 Broadcast Delivery Specs Issues
on Jun 12, 2011 at 5:06:33 pm

Apple limits the amount of access you have to MPEG2 and MPEG4 in the current version of compressor. Buying Apple's MPEG2 codec lets you have QuickTime access to MPEG-2, but again mostly to create streams compatible with DVDS.

You might try looking at some of the Front end GUI's for FFMPEG - such as FFMPEGx or iFFMPEG, but it's piggybacking on open source tools (which in itself is fine) but not necessarily developed to hit your specific needs.

Speaking of which, what are your specific needs?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Eve Kinizo
on Jul 29, 2011 at 4:20:05 pm

Hi,

I was wondering about similar problems I'm having with MPEG2 maybe someone can help?

I've been having a lot of problems trying to convert MOV and MP4 files to MPEG2 . Finally Compressor helped however I found that for some odd reason, when I work with HD files compressor won't allow me to control the dimension size (within the inspector). Any specific reason for this? not even when I try to do a custom settings.

same problem with PAL files and 16x9 files.

Basically, if there's a better program to use for converting TO mpeg2, I would love to know about it.

Many thanks !

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 29, 2011 at 5:17:38 pm

Telestream Episode gives you much more control. I use it to encode MPEG-2 Program Streams for DGFastchannel (now DGIT I believe) delivery.

Return to posts index

Eve Kinizo
on Aug 3, 2011 at 5:17:33 pm

Hey,

Thanks for that. I will give it a shot. I assume MPEG2 is very tricky because it seems as if most programs only offer decode it not to encode it. Any particular reason?

If anyone has any tips as to what to watch out for it would be great!

maybe I should mention that when I encode mpeg2 I do it for the purpose of launching digital files online however ;it is for providers with very specific specs like iTunes,Amazon etc.

All tips are welcome! and thanks for taking the time to respond!

Best

Eve

Return to posts index

Eve Kinizo
on Aug 4, 2011 at 2:33:12 pm

Hey,

Thanks for that. I will give it a shot. I assume MPEG2 is very tricky because it seems as if most programs only offer decode it not to encode it. Any particular reason?

If anyone has any tips as to what to watch out for it would be great!

maybe I should mention that when I encode mpeg2 I do it for launching digital files online however ;it is for providers with very specific specs like iTunes,Amazon etc.

All tips are welcome! and thanks for taking the time to respond!

Best

Eve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]