FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quickest Compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Romeo Rubio
Quickest Compression
on May 22, 2011 at 1:20:25 am

Someone has asked me to encode a bunch of video files into something viewable on his computer. I guess he isn't able to play them as they are now, on his computer. I don't know if he's on a mac or pc, but I do know that he will be using quicktime player. When I open the info page it's 1080x720, MPEG-2. I open it up in MPEG Streamclip its HDV 1080p30, 1440x1080, 29.97.

Basically, I'm looking to convert it to the format which will take the quickest encoding-wise and will be the most likely compatible one to view on his comp. Quality is not an issue.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Quickest Compression
on May 22, 2011 at 5:57:43 am

[Romeo Rubio] " I guess he isn't able to play them as they are now, on his computer. I don't know if he's on a mac or pc, but I do know that he will be using quicktime player."

Ask him about his computer speaks. If you don't know you'll have to guess. If you guess wrong, you fail. All you will get from us is a guess. You must know your target.

[Romeo Rubio] "When I open the info page it's 1080x720, MPEG-2. I open it up in MPEG Streamclip its HDV 1080p30, 1440x1080, 29.97."

HDV file. Either he doesn't have the codec or he has a computer with limited resources. You need to know exactly what
[Romeo Rubio] "isn't able to play them"
means. No video? Plays back but stutters or freezes?

[Romeo Rubio] "Quality is not an issue."
As in you don't care about quality?
You could do a low data rate, single pass H.264 codec, baseline profile, CAVLC entropy, minimize b-frames. frame size maybe 640x360. You could do an MPEG-1 encode which should play even on an antique computer.

At the top of this forum there's a sticky about HOW TO GET THE FASTERS RESPONSE. Please read it. Please get the details. Without a target you don't much to go on.

Return to posts index

Romeo Rubio
Re: Quickest Compression
on May 22, 2011 at 10:38:01 am

Will do those things next post. Anyways I figured it out. I just looked at the apple support section of quicktime player and found out the supported files. I encoded one of the files into a couple of the various supported formats and then emailed it to the individual. All of them worked on his computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]