FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is quality effect when you compress over 90min on DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna conlon
Is quality effect when you compress over 90min on DVD
on May 20, 2011 at 1:33:00 pm

Hi all

I use final cut and export .mov files which I then compress in Compressor to under 90min mpeg.

I'm a wedding videographer and I have a habit of splitting the footage onto two disc when it runs over the 90min. I do this because I want the best quality for my clients.

I've always gone on the assumption that if I compress the files any further it would effect quality so I just though I would ask the question in case I'm making extra unnecessary work for myself.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Is quality effect when you compress over 90min on DVD
on May 20, 2011 at 2:40:35 pm

More compression is greater quality loss. As to whether it's noticeable for the client it depends but why risk it. BTW you could use dual layer DVDs but they can have issues with breakpoint and compatibility in some cases. Generally you're doing the right and cautious thing to protect quality.

Return to posts index

anna conlon
on May 20, 2011 at 5:37:20 pm

well I know that almost all of my competitors aren't double box set DVDs Every wedding I do now is longer than 90minutes (most because of the speeches)

To be honest I'd be afraid I'll end up compromising quality but its a real pain having to export two .mov files and then send them down for compression and then of course burn 3 extra copies. I'm trying to cut back on production time. I guess the question big question is...is it visible to the eye and of course audible different.

Most movies are over 1.5 hours now and there isn't a quality problem there but obviously I'm using different method of compression.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 21, 2011 at 6:08:39 pm

It's pretty easy (between jobs) to set up some custom encoding settings and try them on the same clip of a short length (say one minute). Then look them over and decide where your quality threshold is. You can also get BitVice which is a great MPEG encoder at lower bitrates. I would do the testing method because for me, authoring two discs is probably more work for the quality loss, if there is one.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]