FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor - Burn Blu-ray with EXISTING H.264 file

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Browne
Compressor - Burn Blu-ray with EXISTING H.264 file
on May 18, 2011 at 2:10:20 am

I frequently create Blu-ray discs of projects for clients using FCP>Compressor. I always have requests for additional Blu-ray copies in the weeks following.

But after waiting nearly 4 hours for a 90 minute ProRes QT master to encode into H.264/AC3 and burn a disc, I would really prefer not to have to go through the encoding process each time a new BD is requested.

After the initial encode batch job with Compressor I have the H.264/AC3 files stored. Is there some way to use Compressor to just burn a one-off by simply using the existing H.264 I have already spent 3 hours encoding?

Does anyone know how to do this?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compressor - Burn Blu-ray with EXISTING H.264 file
on May 18, 2011 at 1:30:11 pm

After you've setup compressor, click on the batch (not the individual video clip entry). The Inspector should show "Job Action."

Change your Output Device to Hard drive and you'll get a disk image that you should be able to reuse.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Jay Browne
on May 18, 2011 at 4:20:46 pm

Thanks for tip! That's a very helpful idea.

Once I have the disk image saved what is the best method to replicate Blu-ray discs from it? I have an external BD burner attached via firewire, and I'm running the FCS suite. Does it require additional software like Encore or Toast?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 18, 2011 at 5:20:19 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure. I figure if it's a disc image, then Apple's disk utility ought to be able to burn it for you. How about you try and let us know. :D

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Peter dewit
on May 19, 2011 at 1:52:01 pm

So you're creating the file then dragging it into a disk image? If that's the case you're probably copying it as data rather than a BD. Typically you'd have to use authoring software of some type(encore Toast etc) to properly build a BD that players will recognize.

Return to posts index

Jay Browne
on May 19, 2011 at 3:43:22 pm

So with Toast you can revisit an old project file later and quickly burn a one-off BD disc without re-encoding? I wish there was a way to do that with FCS, it takes an overnight Compressor batch just to create a single disc, unlike DVD Studio Pro where you just open the project and swiftly format a new DVD. Maybe Final Cut X will have some better BD functionality.

Return to posts index

Randolf Shanklemeyer
on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:52:46 pm

I am trying the same workflow from compressor. I attempted to burn the BD disk with Toast 10 with the BD Plug-in. I was unable to join the video (H.264 for Blu Ray) AND audio (Dolby Audio.ac3) files. They play as separate files. Any way to join them or suggestions?

Return to posts index

Ethan Young
on Jan 6, 2012 at 10:13:03 pm

OK, I have figured out the best workflow for this. After I complete a FCPX project for a client I follow this workflow on my Mac:

1. Export master file from FCPX

2. Use Compressor to encode it for a DVD but choose DISK IMAGE (Hard Drive) in the JOB ACTION>OUTPUT DEVICE setting instead of burning a disc. This creates a disk image (.img) file that I can store to quickly burn extra discs in the future.

3. Use compressor the same way for the Blu-ray version (create disk image)

4. Use Toast 11 to burn the discs. Toast has a feature that allows you to create a disc directly from a disk image.

I find this to be the easiest way to handle additional orders without needing to re-encode or anything.

Return to posts index

Ben Gordon
on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:13:27 pm

Hi Ethan, could you possibly elaborate on step 4 in the process you outline - the Toast 11 function to create discs form disk images?

I'm trying to use this to burn consecutive Blu Ray discs and am having trouble finding that Toast feature.

Thanks a million,
Ben

Macbook Pro 2.5 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OSX 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Nov 8, 2013 at 8:49:00 pm

Change the Destination to Disk Image

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

Luke Smith
on Sep 25, 2014 at 1:11:17 am

Howdy. I'm still hoping to find out the answer to the original question. When you use the "Create a Blu-ray" destination in Compressor 4, it encodes the audio and video files, burns the disk, and leaves the encoded sources files behind. In my workflow, I just want to make an adjustment or two to the built-in menu options before I burn the disk again, all without having to re-encode the media files.

I can't help but wonder why it seems like Compressor can't reuse them. Anyone?

Thanks for the help, gents.

Luke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]