FORUMS: list search recent posts

x264 mac question

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter dewit
x264 mac question
on May 17, 2011 at 3:08:46 pm

Ok so I'm starting to work with Blu-Ray as an output format on our FCP machines(FCP 7.0 Intel)

I've tried and had decent success exporting FCP files directly to compressor, using the standard blu-ray .264 stream preset using Mainconcept as the encoder. I'm then authoring in Encore CS3. The Compressor presets are allowing me to author perfectly fine in Encore without requiring addition transcoding.

However I've heard x264 is a superior codec to be working with for BD encoding and wanted to give it a whirl. The files are all Prores HQ and I'd still be authoring in Encore CS3. I've got the x264 encoder installed and can get to the options using Mpeg StreamClip. Thing is the files I try to render using the default settings aren't accepted as native by Encore. is there a guide somewhere?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: x264 mac question
on May 17, 2011 at 4:59:11 pm

You're using MainConcept plugin in Compressor for H.264 for Blu-ray?
MainConcept H.264 is leagues better than Apple's codec.
I'm hearing that there may be compatibility issues with x264 in a variety of workflows. I'm not sure what exists though beyond their documentation though so it would be interesting to hear if anyone has done this successfully. I'm not sure if x264 would be much better than MainConcept. It certainly would be compared to Apple's H.264 though.

Return to posts index

Peter dewit
on May 18, 2011 at 8:26:51 pm

Yeah Mainconcept is the option in the h264 blu-ray export in compressor. I'm not sure if I running a plugin but it might be due to also having sorenson 7 on this machine which uses MC as its main mp4 encoder so that may be why compressor is using it

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2011 at 8:57:13 pm

If you have Squeeze 7, why would you be using Compressor? In most respects Squeeze is superior.

Return to posts index

Peter dewit
on May 19, 2011 at 1:43:31 pm

Encore CS3 didn't want to take Squeeze's files without recompression.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]