FORUMS: list search recent posts

why can't I output to HDV?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshman
why can't I output to HDV?
on May 16, 2011 at 5:54:54 pm

Hello,

I have a comp in after effects that I am ultimately trying to deliver in HDV 1080i. However, I am not seeing any options for this is after effects output module or in adobe media encoder. Am I missing something obvious?

thanks for any help
dan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: why can't I output to HDV?
on May 16, 2011 at 6:11:17 pm

[dan freshman] "I have a comp in after effects that I am ultimately trying to deliver in HDV 1080i. However, I am not seeing any options for this is after effects output module or in adobe media encoder."

It may be that AE and AME can't access the codec. I wouldn't want to deliver in such a heavily compressed GOP based, interlaced codec. I'd use 8 or 10 bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 or Apple ProRes.

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on May 16, 2011 at 6:28:48 pm

thanks for the response..It is going to be put into an hdv timeline in Fcp eventually. If I am making this comp from scratch, is it still best to deliver uncompressed?

I'm on a pc without pro res codecs, what would be the best delivery codec?

thanks for the help
dan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 16, 2011 at 6:33:34 pm

I'd still deliver uncompressed even if it were for an HDV timeline.
Think of it this way. If you were importing graphics done in PhotoShop would you convert them to HDV first? Always use the highest quality source available IMHO.

Can you export 8 bit Uncompressed 4:2:2?

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on May 16, 2011 at 7:10:30 pm

Yes I can export to uncompressed YUV 8 bit from after effects. I will try and do that....just for my own understanding, if it is going to be rendered in hdv eventually why not do it now? Or when it is put into final cut, will something else occur?

thanks again
dan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 16, 2011 at 7:37:07 pm

[dan freshman] "if it is going to be rendered in hdv eventually why not do it now?"

While the timeline may be HDV the export will likely be something else. HDV is not a typical delivery codec. Also a higher quality source may allow them better compositing if they're adding anything.

As per my example above with Photoshop, one often imports .psd files into Final Cut regardless of time line codec. Just 'cause you got moving pictures from After Effects doesn't mean you should then resort to handing off a heavily compressed file to the client. Graphics, whether still or motion, should be as near uncompressed as possible in almost every case I can think of.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]