FORUMS: list search recent posts

wedding video compression nightmare

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Floutier
wedding video compression nightmare
on May 13, 2011 at 12:04:08 am

This is probably VERY covered ground and would be happy to be directed to posts that cover this topic but I am in need.

I have recently started filming weddings to try and earn a living, I am far from professional (and my fee reflects that) but I would like to get better. I'll get to my problem.

I shoot with a sony pmw ex1, at 1080p 25fps, edit in FCP 7.0, exported as quicktime movies

an example of a clip of the SPEECHES. 13.98gb for 52minutes.

I have a combined total of around 26gb that I need to get onto two 8.6gb dvds. basically need to half the file size. Any (non jargoned) information or ideas would be so much appreciated it really would. They would like the DVD's as soon as possible.

still a newby. appreciating everyones help, hopefully i will be able to do the same 1 day.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: wedding video compression nightmare
on May 13, 2011 at 2:39:52 am

In Compressor use the DVD presets that match or exceed the duration.

Return to posts index

Robert Floutier
on May 13, 2011 at 12:49:16 pm

Thanks for the quick reply craig.

Could you go into a little bit more detail. When you say 'compressor' do you mean exporting, or is it separate program? and DVD presets? i am unfamiliar with those also.

I've found a link talking about compression in idvd, which is like a beginners compression as much as i can tell.
http://www.kenstone.net/discussions/read.php?3,8314

Right now i have each clip on my desktop as large Mov files. will i need to export those files again as something else (under the dvd presets you talked of)?

appreciate the help

Rob Floutier

still a newby. appreciating everyones help, hopefully i will be able to do the same 1 day.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 14, 2011 at 5:51:40 pm

Apple Compressor which has DVD presets which, when encoded, can be imported into DVD Studio Pro.

Please familiarize yourself with the programs that come with Final Cut Studio. If your skill set is at "what's in the box" and "how to I make a DVD" you really should start with some tutorials by Ripple Training or Larry Jordan.

I dearly hope you took similar steps to learn the Sony EX1 with VortexMedia training DVD otherwise you can really have a mess on your hands between camera settings and file management.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 18, 2011 at 1:43:19 pm

Rob,

We're talking inside of the Apple FCS suite here..

Edit your video in Final Cut. The format is XDCam - and you should be editing XDCam throughout the entire process. It's up to you if you want to do advanced color correction in Apple Color and/or advanced audio finishing in Soundtrack pro.

When you're finished editing, in FCP, you'll likely have a timeline based on XDCam Compression.

That timeline is then Sent to Compressor - a program whose sole job is to compress video from one format to another. All DVD-s are MPEG-2 compression.

Normally, when you compress files, you want to pick the smallest size where the picture looks decent. On a DVD, we have a different 'ceiling' - we want to fill the DVD as best as possible. We cannot make a DVD if the video assets, when compressed, are larger in total than the size of the DVD itself (4.3 single layer, 8.6 dual layer.)

Last, we use DVD authoring software to handle those MPEG2 files and properly format them for a DVD disk that can play back in any DVD player.

DId any of that help?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Robert Floutier
on May 26, 2011 at 8:47:04 pm

Thanks Jeff

The info was helpful. The FCP export settings and compression in general are still very daunting to me but its something I really want to learn how to tackle. I only got my mac 3 months ago, exploring my mac is good advice. It was a shock to hear that software with the computer would be able enough to complete these tasks. Pleasantly surprised.

Craig I appreciate your help, my skill set is unfortunately weighted more towards the production side of the process, sadly in post I still have a long way to go. Is there a good linear way to learn? my learning process seems to be running into problems and then looking for help (thank you both again)

I am happy to put the hours in, with tutorials and practice. If you can suggest where to start, my goal, to become a freelance videographer. predominantly using PMW EX1 and DSLR's.

Rob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 26, 2011 at 9:08:24 pm

For the EX series the Vortex Media training DVD.
For Final Cut Suite, Ripple Training and some might recommend VASST.

You'll really learn much faster if you go through the training DVDs otherwise you may dig yourself into many holes and that's not going to be good for business.

These days it's very unsafe for a business or freelancer to know only one part of the business. Having been an editor, some of the biggest disasters (for the client) i had to dig clients out of was hiring a shooter who only knew production. When I was a senior editor at big post houses part of my job was being in on the pre-production and production meetings.

Return to posts index

Robert Floutier
on May 26, 2011 at 11:47:48 pm

well right now i am doing jobs for peanuts, gaining experience. I have the vortex dvd but was probably only looking at it from a production point of view being as this is the 1st thing i have to get right. Agreed, i am digging myself out alot, but I will take your advice on board and try and learn about POST as quick as I can. Thank you for suggesting a route.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 27, 2011 at 12:53:45 am

VASST has an EX1 training DVD too. Douglas Spotted Eagle is a COW leader as well.
http://store.vasst.com/store/camera-training/inside-the-sony-xdcam-ex-sony-...

Ripple Training Final Cut training DVDs.
http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/final-cut-studio-courses.html

I also have a hunch since their founder, Steve Martin, is one of the FCPX beta testers (he's said so publicly) he'll probably be first out the gate with FCPX training as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]