FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex martinez
Compression
on May 9, 2011 at 7:55:14 pm

I have a 35 min video that i recorded with my canon 60d... I finished the editing in final cut... Now i want to export it to a dvd in high definition ..I started compression at 11:00pm last night and its still compreesing ( its been over 12 hours) .. Is this "normal"... The codec i used for compression was H.264 10.Mbps...Can anyone please assist me .... Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compression
on May 9, 2011 at 8:42:56 pm

[alex martinez] "Now i want to export it to a dvd in high definition"

You're dead ended right there.
DVD is Standard Def only (assuming you mean DVD-Video)
Blu-ray is HD.

[alex martinez] "I started compression at 11:00pm last night and its still compreesing ( its been over 12 hours) .. Is this "normal""

Please don't do this on your old G5 MacMini. It would be much faster on MacPro 8 Core with QMaster virtual cluster. Using Matrox CompressHD would be much faster than that even. It would be around real time (35 minutes) depending on specific settings and system.

Please also read the sticky at the top of the forum on How to get FASTEST compression help.

Return to posts index

alex martinez
on May 9, 2011 at 8:52:58 pm

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE...
IF I RECORDED WITH MY CANON 60D ... WHAT CAN I DO TO GET A REAL GOOD HIGH IMAGE QUALITY ON A REGULAR DVD-R

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 9, 2011 at 9:07:50 pm

As a start use Compressor's DVD Best Quality 90 minute setting.
You can do this with just a small portion as a test and view it on a DVD player hooked up to a HDTV.

Depending on what your subject was there may be issues that exaggerate moire and aliasing in the down convert. This is why I suggest a test first.

Return to posts index

alex martinez
on May 9, 2011 at 9:21:44 pm

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE CRAIG....LIKE I MENTIONED BEFORE I RECORDED WITH THE CANON 60 ... HOW WOULD IMAGE QUALITY BE IF I USE THIS PRESET DVD Best Quality 90 minute setting.. SORRY IF THE QUESTION SEEMS WEIRD IM FAIRLY NEW TO ALL THIS...THANKS AGAIN

Return to posts index

alex martinez
on May 9, 2011 at 9:45:46 pm

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE CRAIG... LIKE I MENTIONED EARLIER I RECORDED WIT A CANON 60D IN 1920 X 1080... WILL I LOSE ANY IMAGE QUALITY IF I COMPRESS WITH THIS CODEC DVD Best Quality 90 minute setting... I THOUGHT IT HAD TO BE COMPRESSED IN H.264 CODEC BECAUSE THE FOOTAGE IS HD...SORRY IF I SOUND WEIRD BUT IM FAIRLY NEW TO ALL THIS AND UNEXPERIENCED ... THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 9, 2011 at 10:14:26 pm

[alex martinez] "WILL I LOSE ANY IMAGE QUALITY IF I COMPRESS WITH THIS CODEC DVD Best Quality 90 minute setting"

Nearly all compression loses image quality. It's the nature of the beast. Going from HD to SD will involve additional loss and may result in other issues. You must test to see how it handles but the image will lose resolution.

[alex martinez] " I THOUGHT IT HAD TO BE COMPRESSED IN H.264 CODEC BECAUSE THE FOOTAGE IS HD"

H.264 is likely to be the best codec for HD but DVD doesn't support it.
Blu-ray, which is HD, supports H.264 codec.

Unless you have a specific need for Disc, you could post to the web in HD.
Look at the Canon 60D channel on Vimeo. The quality is much better than you'd get on DVD.
http://vimeo.com/channels/canon60d

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]