FORUMS: list search recent posts

1888x1062 Creating Issues for CableVision

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Tinsley
1888x1062 Creating Issues for CableVision
on Apr 29, 2011 at 9:37:47 pm

Greetings,

I'm trying to help someone get some spots submitted to CableVision for air. My client used FCP7 and made a standard 1920x1080 project. He exported them using the Quicktime Conversion method and made a 1920x1080 Quicktime with H.264 compression. This file delivers a false frame size of 1888x1062 in quicktime until you turn off the CONFORM APERTURE TO setting in quicktime's movie properties and presentation tab. Then it displays fine in quicktime with the proper frame size BUT it still creates issues for CableVision which is using a Digital Rapids product to transcode. Take a look at this image from MEDIA info.

Why does the width say 1888 but the width-original say 1920? Same with the hight. What gives. The folks at cablevision say this is my problem, this multiple frame size. Please advise.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: 1888x1062 Creating Issues for CableVision
on Apr 29, 2011 at 11:17:59 pm

Strange, just saw this aspect today delivered from Europe.

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Apr 30, 2011 at 1:09:35 am

Ok I've done a few tests. All of the following export methods from FCP7 create the 1888x1062 issue.

EXPORT-Quicktime Movie (right from the sequence)
SEND TO - Compressor with the following presets
1. H.264
2. ProRes422

What is interesting is that if one uses the EXPORT-Using Quicktime Conversion but selects the "COMPRESSOR NATIVE" setting for the size the problem does NOT occur. See this pic how to select this:

And see this pic for the MEDIAinfo screen on this file:

Incidentally if you pick HD 1920x1080 in the Quicktime Size Settings box the problem comes back. Wow! Now that's nuts.

I will submit these to cablevision and see if they pass!

Nate

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 30, 2011 at 1:33:26 am

Screenshot of the sequence settings from fcp7? It has to be something from there.

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Apr 30, 2011 at 2:17:26 am

Will do but it will have to be Monday as the Mac is at the office!

Nate

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on May 2, 2011 at 4:32:57 pm

As promised here are the sequence settings.

Nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty standard Sony EX cam sequence with 1920x1080 frame size.

But I digress. I believe I really have solved the issue here but I won't know for certain until the end of the day. I've used the method I described before about ONLY selecting the COMPRESSOR NATIVE option for size. This will take the frame size from the sequence itself and the end result looks good and reports only one single frame size of 1920x1080 in MEDIAinfo. In the past I had chosen the 1920x1080 16:9 option in the size dialog box and that definitely is wrong at this point. Don't THINK for it, let IT think for YOU!

Finally in this case we needed to deliver SD versions of the same spots but in order to make my export method work we had to do this:

1. Create a new sequence.
2. Go to the sequence settings.
3. Load up the DV NTSC 48Khz preset. (this gives us 720x480 native frame size)
4. Make sure to clear your ins and outs on the HD sequence.
5. Drag your HD sequence INTO the new SD sequence.
6. IMPORTANT!!!! DO NOT let the SD sequence auto conform to your HD sequence. When FCP asks you if you want to change the sequence settings to match the clip settings JUST SAY NO!!!
7. Park your edit needle in the middle of the sequence to confirm if the spot is letter boxed. If you don't want it letterboxed now is your chance to change the size.
8. Render if you wish to see the end result.
9. Go to FILE-EXPORT-USING QUICKTIME CONVERSION and make sure that you choose COMPRESSOR NATIVE for the size. Thats it!

I will post results from cable vision as soon as I have info.

PS: If you don't have this program already now would be a good time to get it!

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]