FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Transitions

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Simms
Compression Transitions
on Apr 28, 2011 at 7:06:13 am

I recorded on a HDV Sony A1U camera with a min-dv in 1440 by 1080i 60 frames per second.

When I edited the footage and added transitions to the material I noticed pixilation/very poor image quality in the transitions.

Using Compressor in FCP (6.0.5) Studio 2 I added compression markers to my outputs but that didn't seem to help.

I outputted in a variety of formats and with a variety of destinations (dvd and youtube)
but all showed the same problems.

I did this project last year on a mac pro from 2007 but I do not remember the exact operating system nor its specs.

I am shooting again with the same camera and intend to edit with the same software on a different mac computer (G5) but don't want this same problem.

You can see the footage at:

Any suggestions as to improve the compressed file?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compression Transitions
on Apr 28, 2011 at 1:38:45 pm

[Sean Simms] "I outputted in a variety of formats and with a variety of destinations (dvd and youtube)
but all showed the same problems.
"

I forget which version of compressor you have - v2 or v3? I feel like it's 3.

There are a couple of 'general' workarounds you might try before we have to play with nuts and bolts.
Try doing an export to QuickTime (via QuickTime movie, not QuickTime convert); then feed that to compressor.
Or if that's what you're doing now, try a direct export to compressor.

Don't send the whole show - just a 30 sec sample of the compressed area.

If you built your own compressor settings (like I'm guessing for youtube), try really torquing out the data rate, Double it and see if you have the same problem. Triple it if you have to.

Report back and let's find out!

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]