FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird 2-3 frame brightness shifts in compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Belzer-Adams
Weird 2-3 frame brightness shifts in compressor
on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:02:48 pm

I've tried to do some pretty extensive research on this one (ie google and the cow forums) so I apologize if there is an answer, I just haven't been able to find it.

I'm experiencing an odd phenomenon that I haven't noticed before. I have a final color corrected sequence that I'm exporting out of FCP. I export a self-contained quicktime movie, which is 1080i 29.97 ProRes (HQ). I compress an .m2v and an .aif file in compressor and bring these into DVD studio pro where I do the authoring.

When I watch the final DVD there are several instances where the brightness in a scene drops 2-3 frames before a cut. For example, I have an interview shot, which cuts to a still image. Right before the cut, the brightness shifts on the interview and it becomes momentarily darker.

I figured this was a compression issue, so I re-compressed and had the same problem, in the same spot. I went back to the quicktime file thinking that maybe the export from FCP had an issue. The file looks perfect in quicktime, so I brought it into compressor again. What I found is that in the compressor viewer I can see this shift, before I even select any compression preset. So it seems like compressor reads a brightness shift in the file that doesn't actually exist and therefore transcodes it into my DVD, or H.264 or any other kind of compression that I do.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm pulling my hair out and I'd like to send out my otherwise perfect DVD without this issue.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Weird 2-3 frame brightness shifts in compressor
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:13:31 am

Haven't seen it - but have you tried pushing it to compressor via Send to (instead of an external QuickTime file?)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Jeremy Belzer-Adams
Re: Weird 2-3 frame brightness shifts in compressor
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:32:51 pm

No I hadn't tried that as I have found exporting quicktime movies to be much more reliable. It did seem to solve the problem though, at least before compression. I'm compressing a new file right now and I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]