FORUMS: list search recent posts

footage that looked fine in Seq, NG interpolation in DVD via Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
footage that looked fine in Seq, NG interpolation in DVD via Compressor
on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:48:10 pm

I did a motion gfx edit that includes some live-action footage extracted from a ntsc dvd via MPEG Streamclip*. I extracted the dvd footage as a DV quicktime 720x480. All the above looks fine as ntsc video out of the Avid. However when go to make dvd (via a Avid native Qt) with best qualty DVD preset with Apple compressor, the footage has what looks like an interpolation problem., stutter and horiz bands during rapid movement . The motion gfx parts looks fine. I could recapture the footage as analog out of a dvd player but wanted to ask if anyone know how I can troubleshoot and fix this interpolation problem.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

P.S It's woth mentioning that a s-video-out real-time dvd of the sequence looks good. But the problems with that is that my edit is anamorphic and the Pioneer dvd recorder will make a dvd that plays back as squeezed 4x3. A secondary question... does anyone know of a Mac dvd player app that can do the 16x9 stretch? I tried VLC, which will do the stretch but can't see to deinterlace the playback and looks cruddy.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: footage that looked fine in Seq, NG interpolation in DVD via Compressor
on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:42:57 pm

I tried a suggestion of deinterlacing as I export from MPEGStreamclip and that made a *big* improvement. The dvd content that was lifted was an edit that involved white flashes as transitions. Though the above technique resolved the artifacts on rapid pans/tilts, there were horiz banding artifacts on these white flashes. Also strange is that if I were to apply a Boris swish pan on new transitions I created between clips prepared the above way (that looked ok overall)... these new transitions would have banding artifacts, go figure. In every such problem instance I had to go with the analog capture from the dvd.

So esp. thanks to Robert I have a work-around that works most of the time. Yet it's puzzling that playback would look perfect out of the Avid on an NTSC monitor and yet freak (interpolation strobe-stutter artifacts) out in a dvd made via Compressor... even if I blew up the image to remove the dv blanking.

Best,

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]