FORUMS: list search recent posts

forgot how Compressor makes a "16x9" ntsc dvd

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
forgot how Compressor makes a "16x9" ntsc dvd
on Apr 26, 2011 at 4:21:57 pm

Dumb question, I haven't done this in a while. What Compressor setting should I use or modify to compress anamorphic video content so that the resulting sd dvd plays it at 16x9 letterbox?

I'm working with a anamorphic Qt master out of an Avid. I used the Compressor preset for DVD 90min best quality which does say 16x9 but the resulting dvd is a squeezed 4x3.

It is Compressor that creates the flag*, yes? It's not Toast is it?

Pls help, deadline looms. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Paul

* sets the WS bit

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: forgot how Compressor makes a "16x9" ntsc dvd
on Apr 26, 2011 at 5:43:42 pm

the M2V file (in NTSC) will be 720x480, whether it's anamorphic or not. It's up to the authoring software to put this flag in to tell the DVD player to stretch to 16x9. It's written in the disc code, not the MPEG-2 stream. Very easy to do in DVD Studio Pro - no idea in Toast.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:47:14 pm

It's a puzzlement but it seems the Compressor preset Best 90min dvd will tell a dvd player to stretch my 4x3 anamorphic video to 16x9. I had started work with a near identical copy of same preset which did not work. Followed by mild panic about missing deadline and resulting confusion.

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on May 2, 2011 at 12:52:58 am

Solution - In the calm after the original deadline haze, I rediscovered what I had forgotten (since it's been so long since I worked with SD). It would appear that making a copy of the Best Quality 90 dvd preset and making one change in the Encoder panel/Video Format tab does the job. The default has several parameters listed such as Aspect Ratio with a gear icon to the right that is greyed-out. Clicking that icon and making it black (vs grey) will in turn make the default 16:9 black instead of grey. That seems to be all that is needed to ensure that players will display the anamorphic source file I'm using Compressor to encode as 16x9. BTW I do the actual burn with Toast, no adjustments and presto. However it's worth noting that using the default Best Quality 90 dvd preset with result in a squeezed 4x3 dvd playback. Do I know how this adjustment works "under the hood"... no, but it works.

A secondary question... does anyone know of a Mac dvd player app that can do the 16x9 stretch? I tried VLC, which will do the stretch but can't see to deinterlace the playback and looks cruddy. (I ask because I can do a fast analog-out real-time copy to a Pioneer dvd burner that can't flag for 16x9 playback)

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on May 2, 2011 at 2:49:32 am

[Paul Dougherty] "I can do a fast analog-out real-time copy to a Pioneer dvd burner that can't flag for 16x9 playback"

Another solution - do that, and then rip the contents to a VIDEO_TS folder on your Mac. Then use MyDVDEdit to alter the 16x9 flag, burn another one, and you've got an anamorphic DVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]