FORUMS: list search recent posts

DG Alternative?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Gilmour
DG Alternative?
on Apr 16, 2011 at 3:55:34 pm

Anybody know of any other companies/services out there that offer the same (or close to same) services as DG Fastchannel?

I'm trying to shop around a bit and I'm not a big fan of DG, I know about Extreme Reach, but I don't think they're reach is extreme enough quite yet.

Are there any others? Google isn't really helping me in this case.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: DG Alternative?
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:35:13 pm

You've hit the two big ones I know of in the USA. Extreme Reach has been expanding. You really need to know your delivery and see if they cover it. Some cable companies are taking direct now as well.

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Apr 18, 2011 at 6:57:16 pm

The list of stations/companies is getting too big to send files out individually to each. I like the idea of DG, being able to upload one spot digitally with a list of stations and they take care of it, but I don't like DG's system by any means. I find them difficult to use, even harder to understand, and somewhat unreliable. So I'm looking for a company to use as a replacement.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:02:45 pm

DG Drop box has been easy for me. Email the order. Upload the encoded file. Done. What issues are you having?
ExtremeReach's online system seems a bit more complicated but it's also much more feature rich and their prices are a bit lower than DG.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:10:11 am

Give Flash Spot a look. I have started working with them and they are sort of a great middle option. YOu send one file and they send either DG or direct to station FTP and will deliver HD to stations that accept HD.

I was tired of creating 8 versions of the same spot...Flashspot is an option.

John Grozik is the guy I spoke with.

http://flashspot.tv/signup/

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Apr 19, 2011 at 4:02:41 am

Rich, I am interested in Flash Spot, but I can't seem to find any contact info on them. The link you provided wants my payment info immediately and they're main page doesn't say anything. A Google search doesn't yield any hits either. Any places I can read up on them or least get in contact with the guy you talked to?

Craig, as far as problems go, and don't take this as sounding disgruntled or ranting, but there have been many times when spots upload, I get a confirmation of the upload and then 2 days later I get a call saying they haven't received the spot. I understand that sometimes digital transactions/uploads don't always work, but taking that long to let me know about it after I receive a confirmation that everything is fine is unacceptable in my book especially multiple times. I also think they get too picky, I appreciate it when they let me know about certain issues ie: banding, interlacing, title safe ect. but I find they're judgment calls on that stuff to be spotty and inconsistent and they've held up a few spots because half a letter of text crossed over the title safe line a little bit. There have been times when they've saved me by being picky, but the vast majority of the time it has been little things that the average viewer won't see or notice.

I like DG because they save a lot of time by taking care of the multiple deliveries, but they end up taking way more of my time than they should. Hence my search for a better service (if one exists).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]