FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime Quicktime Conversion to Compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Araceli Salcedo
Quicktime Quicktime Conversion to Compression
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:21:05 pm

Hi, I have been learning Final Cut Pro HD on my own, and am currently stuck like brick. I need to move forward to the next step, compression. My chapters on Final Cut HD have been completed, tittles, transitions, FX, etc.. etc...

My next step is to convert these chapters to several media such as downloading for streaming, downloading for iPad's, cell phones, DVD's, HD DVD's, and other formats.

My question is, do I have to now convert my chapters to Quicktime, Quicktime Conversion, or both, and send the 2nd person who is going to work on them but, he uses a Windows operating system with Sorensons Suqeeze, or Adobe Premiere, Flip4Mac HD, and other programs. We have started a website and need to compress them to view online as HD, .wmv, and as many formats as we can to present options to the viewer. I assume a person with Windows cannot view the chapter unless they are converted, but to what?

A.S.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Quicktime Quicktime Conversion to Compression
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:43:49 pm

[Araceli Salcedo] "My question is, do I have to now convert my chapters to Quicktime, Quicktime Conversion, or both, and send the 2nd person who is going to work on them but, he uses a Windows operating system with Sorensons Suqeeze, or Adobe Premiere, Flip4Mac HD, and other programs"

This seems a bit all over the map. Ask them what they need and deliver it. If they're using these programs and can't express what they need as deliverables, there's a serious problem with their knowledge of their programs.

Without telling us the timeline codec it's hard to talk about Quicktime vs Quicktime Conversion as well. Please read the sticky at the top of the forum for Fastest Compression Help.

[Araceli Salcedo] "We have started a website and need to compress them to view online as HD, .wmv, and as many formats as we can to present options to the viewer. I assume a person with Windows cannot view the chapter unless they are converted, but to what? "

The above is a bit all over the place. You need to think about your target to know what you need to deliver. If you're making assumptions about Windows you don't know about then you really need to gather more info.

You could use a well programed Flash player with cue points or links to sections but you're going to need a Flash designer for that.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Quicktime Quicktime Conversion to Compression
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:09:43 pm

You have your footage optimized for editorial in FCP - that's the timeline setting.

The question is, "What will my audience need?" Determine this, and you have your problem solved - but the codecs we use in post production are less than suitable for distribution - they're mostly too large (such as prores) and specifically licensed to an editorial system (like XDCam)

Right now, the 'most universal' codec, is likely an h.264 in an MP4 container - this is playable on most modern systems, mac, pc, iOS and linux - and this codec looks good too!

If you're going to have your PC guy do this for you (via squeeze or any other tool), you'll need to give us loads more detail about what you're using inside of FCP (as per Craig's post.)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]