FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage for testing compression...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Byfield
Footage for testing compression...
on Apr 11, 2011 at 6:04:59 pm

I work for a game company that publishes to XBOX 360 and PS3 game disks. We do occasionally use FMVs (full motion videos) that require us to compress using a program called BINK. As we're limited on the amount of data space available on game disks, we want to get the most bang for our buck or in this case, the best looking video with the smallest file size possible. So... long story short, we're testing various compression settings and I'd like to find out from the compression gurus out there what footage THEY use to compare the effects of video compression. Is there a standard slate floating around or better yet, motion video with various difficult to accurately compress components (think: gradients)? I can create something in AE but if assets already exist, why eat up that valuable time?

Edit/Effects Rig:
HP-z800 w/ Vista 64
Avid Mojo DX w/ Media Composer 4.0.5
Adobe Production Premium CS4

Return to posts index

Andrew Ford
Re: Footage for testing compression...
on Apr 11, 2011 at 8:06:04 pm

I alter my compressions settings based on the content I am compressing at that moment. To compare compression against some other video doesn't tell you too much.... it's what's the best settings for your particular video to look it's best and be within proper file size. I have some friends that produce video games for the big companies and they're always disappointed at how they have to cut out visual elements and do less in order to reach a proper file size for their "share" of the game. That being said, I've never compressed anything for a video game. But, I do believe that even though gaming systems today can take a lot of different file types, it still seems that FMV is very popular. FMV files can use something like 16 different compression methods to get, for example, a full motion cutscene for a video game down to size. BINK brought a new color-format to the game, and from what I understand, has much better compression than the older methods so it continues to be popular.

---------------------------------------------
Always design with a purpose.
---------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]