FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Choice of Codec

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Hamilton
Best Choice of Codec
on Apr 7, 2011 at 7:23:36 pm

Hey Guys

I'll be participating in a film challenge this weekend and unfortunately I'm having a little bit of a codec run around. These are the options they've given us for final delivery:

ProRes HQ/422/LT
.H264
HDV
XDCAM EX
DVCPRO HD
DV
DVCPRO50

Unfortunately I do no use a mac or I'd definitely go ProResHQ, and I know that they are planning on re encoding them so H264 is already a no no. Now, the other codecs I am not familiar enough with to make a decision on. Now, I'm here. Which codec should I go to for the best result?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best Choice of Codec
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:18:55 pm

If you can afford Episode Engine you can encode to ProRes on Windows.

Assuming you want to be in HD, I think DVCPRO HD might be best for your circumstance. XDCAM EX might actually be more efficient relative to quality (some might debate that) but you'd have to have the codec to deliver it and there's some potential bumps in the road for delivery.

Believe it or not H.264 can work at extremely high data rates. Some are beginning to accept it as an intermediate for broadcast.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 7, 2011 at 10:21:03 pm

If you're working at HD? I'd probably choose DVCPro HD - it's a CBR Codec (the encode should be fast) and it's the beefiest out of those choices.

I'd run a test to see how 'long' it'll really take.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Andrew Hamilton
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:55:50 pm

Hey guys.

Thank you so much for the clarity. You've helped me out a lot. I'll be testing out the dvcpro hd codec today to see what I'm dealing with for render times. You guys have really been a huge help and have saved me a huge amount of trouble for this weekend.

Craig - I agree, as a delivery format I think h264 is amazing. I can certainly believe that its used within broadcast today. Thank you for the quick response man.

Return to posts index

Andrew Hamilton
on Apr 9, 2011 at 12:54:10 am

sorry guys, one last quick question.

i'll be working with a dslr on a windows based pc. i wanted to know what the best method would be to prepare the files for editing (software or otherwise)

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 9, 2011 at 4:09:38 pm

Editing on what?

Premiere Pro? Handles DSLR.
Avid? Handles DSLR?
Vegas? Yeah, you get the point.

Basically, it'll work out of the box - except that it'll work hard. Want a decent codec to transcode it to? Cineform - but you'll pay them for it.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]