COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mullennix
.mov to .avi using mpeg streamclip
on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:56:12 pm

Hi - I have a client who needs me to deliver some QT .mov files as .avi

Specifically they are asking for the video codec to be either:
DIB (_RGB) or BI_RGB Raw Bitmap

I believe that mpeg streamclip should be able to do this but I don't find either of these codecs as options in the software. Can mpeg streamclip do this and if so how can I do this?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: .mov to .avi using mpeg streamclip
on Apr 6, 2011 at 4:12:53 pm

When clients get that specific for a codec like that I'd suggest you ask why just in case they are making an ill informed request. The closest I can think of in MPEGStreaming are Apple Planar RGB or Apple BMP but you may need to do a test to see if it works for them.

If you have Quicktime Pro you can export Movie to AVI and select NONE as the codec. The resultant file is BI_RGB according to VideoSpec analysis tool so the solution might be that simple.

Return to posts index

Bryan Mullennix
on Apr 6, 2011 at 7:16:23 pm

Thanks Craig you definitely have got me on the right track! I can output a good quality clip in the .avi format using either Apple Planar RGB or QT Pro using None as the codec. In both these cases, however, the file size increases dramatically.

This may be a stupid question but if I just output a QT .mov file and change the extension to .avi after the fact the file is the same high quality but now I'm working with a much smaller file size. Wouldn't this work in a player that requires .avi?

I believe the client is more interested in having clips in the .avi format than they are about which codec is used.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:27:27 am

Make them AVI with PhotoJPEG codec. As long as they have QT installed on the PC they can be read and will look great. Go with 75% quality and you have a perfect 422 AVI clip.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Mullennix
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:36:25 am

Thanks Rich. I think that's what I'm going to try. It seems like the best solution quality and size wise. I'll see if the client can deal with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]