Compressor fails repeatedly after "100%" completion

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Wolfe
Compressor fails repeatedly after "100%" completion
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:47:28 pm

Hi,

I have a 68 min. sequence in Apple Pro Res I am trying to compress to:

--pro-res (to get it into master file to avoid resizing tiffs and overlays on the timeline)
--uncompressed 8 bit (to make a blue ray)
--dvc 50 (for SD mater)

I am getting the following problems:

Inevitably, it processes to 100%, than fails. Messages have included:

quicktime error-50
quicktime cannot access file-offset to big.

Once Final Cut crashed and said my Motu V plug-in was to blame, but this may be unrelated.

My vague suspicions are:

--something wrong with audio. I have processed an aiff bounce of the mix in Soundtrack and am using this file. I have yet to try making an aiff of the .stp and using this.

--Problem with the fact it is 23.98 fps sequence.

--file size too big.

I tried making a Pro Res quicktime through quicktime conversion (maintaining the 23.98 or 24 fps) but what I imported this back into FCP I got a message saying this media was not optimized for use with final cut and should be recaptured. Not sure what avenues to pursue to fix this. The processing takes so long that it is hard to do endless experimentation.

If you have any other tips on best output to ultimately burn blue ray with Toast 10, I am all ears. This is the ultimate goal.

I am using:

Mac book Pro 2.4 ghz intel core duo with 4 gb ram
Compressor 3.0.5
FCP 6.0.6
Motu HD Express

Your troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Compressor fails repeatedly after "100%" completion
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:21:31 pm

I don't get it - if your sequence is already ProRes, you should export it from FCP as a self-contained QuickTime file. No reason to use "QuickTime Conversion". Just set an in and out point on your sequence and choose "Export>QuickTime Movie", using current settings. Now you have a master video file which you can bring into Compressor and make any other video files from. You shouldn't get any errors from Compressor - perhaps you're using "Export using Compressor" from FCP? I never use this, as it ties up my FCP while I'm compressing. Just export the QuickTime file from your sequence as I described and you'll have a file that is perfect for making into a Blu-Ray or whatever else you need. No problem with that frame rate, file size, or anything else there. Also, there's not going to be any benefit in transcoding to uncompressed. Just stay with your ProRes master - that's the highest quality you'll get from your sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]