FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Forces Shut Down

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Castro
Compressor Forces Shut Down
on Apr 4, 2011 at 5:33:12 pm

Hey Guys-

This started happening, and I don't know what the problem is. I'm on a Mac Pro with 2 3 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon and 20GB of 800MHZ DDR2 FB-DIMM's running the latest OSX and Compressor 3.5.3

My workflow is to edit a video, export a master copy, and then use compressor to compress the file to multiple web formats.

Recently, when I send my video to compressor, it get's maybe only 8-10 jobs finished (i need a total of 32 jobs done) and then shuts my computer computer or makes it freeze up. It only happens with Compressor, because when I run a video to compress with Media Encoder, it works perfectly fine without it restarting or shutting down, and/or if I'm exporting a video out of FCP or Premiere.

I have qmaster running with Mac Pro's on my network to utilize up to 16 cores if needed, but it's usually set to only 10. 4 Cores on my computer, and 6 on the other.

I can't have this constantly happening because I'm left with usually 24 jobs that need to be compressed when I come in the next day. I've been trying to figure out what could be wrong, but I can't seem to find out what it could possibly be.

Any help would be great!!!!!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressor Forces Shut Down
on Apr 4, 2011 at 5:57:12 pm

[Matthew Castro] "shuts my computer computer or makes it freeze up"
Just some things to look at. Check for RAM issues or Core overheating. When you start talking about computer shutting down (assuming your description is accurate) it's sounds more like hardware than software. It just happens that Compressor with QMaster is pushing things harder so you can't really compare to other software that doesn't push the hardware as long or hard.

Return to posts index

Matthew Castro
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:39:25 pm

Hmm the overheating issue might be the problem, unless the RAM that the computer was preinatalled with could be messed up since this was happening before we bought 16 new gigs of RAM.

If the computer is overheating, what could I do to fix it?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:52:22 pm

Monitor the temperature - if it's overheating, try (seriously) getting a fan to help move air through the CPU. It's likely that one of the heat sinks isn't doing enough good - and you'll need to have the system serviced...if it's a heat issue.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]