FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding for archiving

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Neith
Encoding for archiving
on Apr 3, 2011 at 11:40:28 am

I was just wondering what settings everyone uses in FCP for encoding an edit to archive? I have tried various settings such as PNG, and some different tests on the H.264 codec, but I was just wondering what everyone else uses? Is there any sort of lossless export setting that could be brought back into Final Cut in the future for a re-edit or re-encode?? I am archiving my edits to Tape, but would also like a near perfect exported file for archiving. File size is not an issue because hard drives are cheap, and encodes can be setup overnight so speed is not really an issue either.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Encoding for archiving
on Apr 3, 2011 at 4:12:05 pm

[Dave Neith] "I was just wondering what settings everyone uses in FCP for encoding an edit to archive? "

Same as sequenced codec or Apple ProRes or Uncompressed 4:2:2.

[Dave Neith] "Is there any sort of lossless export setting that could be brought back into Final Cut in the future for a re-edit or re-encode?"

This is a fundamental thing you should understand. Editing 101 IMHO. You should read the manual or get some training DVDs. If you don't have such basics down you're going to dig yourself into some very serious holes.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Encoding for archiving
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:54:43 pm

[Dave Neith] "s there any sort of lossless export setting that could be brought back into Final Cut in the future for a re-edit or re-encode?? "

I'll go further than Craig - why bother encoding at all. Use the Media manager to make a copy of all that footage into a new project on the HD that you have. Any changes, open the project, boom, fix (or send to compressor)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]