FORUMS: list search recent posts

(avc1) vs (h264)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
les nemeth
(avc1) vs (h264)
on Apr 1, 2011 at 8:44:34 am

Hi,

I have two video files. One of them is an AVCHD 1080p video (MTS file) straight from my digital camera, the other is a video segment I compressed in Handbreak using H.264 in MKV container.

I view the videos in VLC player. When I get a media info about the playing files in VLC, it reports that the codec for one of them is:

"H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10)(h264)" - this is the AVCHD MTS from the camera
and the other is:
"H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10)(avc1)" - this is the one I compressed

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the bolded items in the parenthesis? Eg (h264) and (avc1)? This is the only value that is different between the two reported codec.

Thank you!

PS: In case you wonder, the reason I'm curious, because the original AVCHD MTS file plays back fine on the Sony SMP-N100 media player, but the file I compressed (H264 in MKV container) does not. The media player DOES play back MKV files, but it is highly sensitive about codec compression and who knows what else factors. I'm guessing the (h264) vs. (avc1) values in the codec description indicate something why one file plays back and the other does not.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: (avc1) vs (h264)
on Apr 1, 2011 at 8:40:13 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC
Some software programs (such as VLC media player) internally identify this standard as AVC1.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: (avc1) vs (h264)
on Apr 2, 2011 at 12:35:24 am

Thanks! I guess it means something else is the issue. Will investigate further...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]