FORUMS: list search recent posts

mp4 slow playback

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Stephens
mp4 slow playback
on Mar 26, 2011 at 8:02:15 pm

I have a problem with when I use compressor to make a 1920x1080 mpeg4 it won't play in sync with its audio. The video plays at a slower rate. When I upload it to You Tube it plays fine as it does also on a MacBook. If I choose a 1280x720 mpeg4 it plays fine. It also plays fine from the quicktime prores exported from the time line. I just update the OS to 10.6.7 and the problem is still there.
Any idea how to fix this?

MacPro quad 2.6 ghz, 10GB ram , ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512mb vram

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: mp4 slow playback
on Mar 26, 2011 at 10:04:08 pm

Encode to 1280 x 720 and don't look back.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 26, 2011 at 10:44:20 pm

[Alan Stephens] " The video plays at a slower rate. When I upload it to You Tube it plays fine as it does also on a MacBook"

When you say it plays fine, what do you mean? It plays okay at 1080 on youtube? It plays okay at 1080 on a Macbook?

If it plays okay on both of these, but not your MacPro, something ain't right on your macpro. Could you trying playing it back in QuickTime X (or QuickTime 7) just to see it differently?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Mar 27, 2011 at 2:06:52 pm

Yes it plays fine in 1080p on you tube made from the mpeg4 that doesn't stay in sync on my macpro.
It plays in sync on a slower macbook. The master ProRes file from which I compressed the mpeg4
stays in sync on my MacPro. All files have been tested in Quicktime 7. Sometimes the 1080p mpeg4
plays back jerky with stops and starts, like the hardware can't handle it, yet the hardware can play the
larger ProRes master file in 1080P. Yes something is clearly wrong with the MacPro, but where do I start?

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 27, 2011 at 3:57:47 pm

Alan,

Humor me here - I'm assuming you're on Snow Leopard (which of course, could be wrong.) Could you test it in Quicktime X?
If you have VLC player, could you test it there (and if you don't have it, could you download it and test it.)

Each plays back h.264 files down a different path.

I'm trying to see if it's flawed everywhere or just via QT7.

Best,

Jeff G

------------
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2011 at 4:22:31 pm

I've been following this thread and a few things aren't clear to me.

Compressor generally doesn't create H.264 .mp4, only the older variety MPEG 4 Part 2 (H.264 is MPEG 4 Part 10) (although you can create an .m4v using an iOS preset and change the extension).
Exactly what setting did you use to create the .mp4?
What data rate did you use?

GOP codecs are harder to playback than I Frame codecs like Apple ProRes on many systems.
Perhaps the data rate of your MPEG4 is too high to play cleanly.

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Mar 27, 2011 at 5:28:36 pm

in compressor under Quicktime settings there is a Quicktime H.264
under Formats there is a MPEG-4 folder and in it is a preset MPEG-4 which is what I used.
I tried on at low VBR and it still plays out of sync.
The audio will finish and the video still hasn't caught up. Sometimes the video will play a frame every quarter second or so, for a bit and then play a 1 second segment then go back to jerky playback.

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2011 at 5:52:19 pm

[Alan Stephens] "in compressor under Quicktime settings there is a Quicktime H.264
under Formats there is a MPEG-4 folder and in it is a preset MPEG-4 which is what I used."

That is not H.264. It's an older MPEG4 codec. Unless your targeting an old computer whose Quicktime predates 7 or, I suspect, some old feature phones, there's no contemporary reason to use that codec.
Did you use Basic or Improved?
What is your keyframe interval?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2011 at 5:57:35 pm

I tested a 6 minute 1080p30 file using the aforementioned preset modified to use Low VBR. The file was about 1800kbps. The sync was soft in QTX, but looked good in QT7.6.6. MacPro 8 Core (2.8GHz MacPro 3.1, OX 10.6.7)

Rather than fight this problem, use H.264 .mov.
I really can't understand why you'd choose you use an old codec.

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Mar 27, 2011 at 6:09:20 pm

I was using this codec because I was under the impression it was compatable with Windows.
I don't remember why I thought that but after testing it on a pc just now, it seems it is not. What I need is
a codec that is HD & both mac and pc playable using compressor, without my client having to downlad QT.
I can buy software to make HD wmv files but not thru Compressor.
Some of my (PC) clients have been asked for mpeg4.

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2011 at 7:12:22 pm

[Alan Stephens] "I was using this codec because I was under the impression it was compatable with Windows.
I don't remember why I thought that but after testing it on a pc just now, it seems it is not."

Some people used to do that because many Windows users were still on Quicktime 6 rather than Quicktime 7. That was, at one time, one of the reasons for using the older codec. That might have been where that info came from.

[Alan Stephens] "What I need is
a codec that is HD & both mac and pc playable using compressor, without my client having to downlad QT.
I can buy software to make HD wmv files but not thru Compressor.
Some of my (PC) clients have been asked for mpeg4."

WMP12 on Windows 7 plays H.264 .mp4 (Quicktime not needed). That's not the case with WMP11 on Vista or XP though. It may well be that they do want H.264 .mp4 if they have Windows 7.

Of course that leads to Apple's strange ways. As I noted before Compressor does not make H.264 .mp4 directly. On the other hand if you're willing to use one of the iOS (Apple Device) presets you can change the .m4v to .mp4 (You shouldn't do that with .mov though). On the other hand, in the mysterious ways of Apple, you CAN create H.264 .mp4 in Quicktime 7 Pro. Why Apple wouldn't include in this in Compressor is a MYSTERY. Of course you can also use the free MPEGStreamClip to create H.264 .mp4

So here'd be a plan.

If your clients have Windows 7 then H.264 .mp4 will work fine and they won't need Quicktime

To create H.264 .mp4 you'd need to
1) Use Quicktime 7 Pro
2) Use MPEGStreamClip
3) Use Compressor with Apple Device preset and change the .m4v to .mp4

If your clients are on Windows Vista or XP machines I really wouldn't use the older .mp4 for HD work. It's not a very efficient codec (it needs very high data rates to create HD). In that case I'd suggest using WMV. You could get Flip4Mac Studio HD and it will work in Compressor when you select Quicktime Components. Let's hope they're on Windows 7 machines so you can do H.264 .mp4.

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Mar 27, 2011 at 6:46:02 pm

I remembered that I also use mpeg4 because it is compatable with Power Point on a PC.
Is there any universal codec in Cmpressor 3 that is both PC and Mac compatable?
If not there should be.

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2011 at 7:13:53 pm

See my other answer.
If they're using Windows 7, H.264 .mp4 should work but note my comments about Compressor.

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Mar 27, 2011 at 5:00:09 pm

I tested it in Quicktime 7.6.6, and yes I am on Snow Leopard 10.6.7 the most recent update.
The video clip is 1:37 minutes and this happens with any other clip I make mpeg4 1080P.
Is Quicktime X the same as QT7? I did another test and compressed the master file into a 1080P H.264
and it plays in sync.
As for the VLC player I hesitate to junk up my system with unnecessary software.

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 27, 2011 at 6:39:07 pm

Actually, QuickTime X is QuickTime player in os 10.6.x - it has no borders (as opposed to the QuickTime 7 player).

Both use different methods of playing back files, especially, as I understand it, h.264.

VLC player is totally safe- it's an open source player (in the same way that Firefox and MPEG Streamclip are open source) that can pretty much play anything...And it uses a third way to playback h.264 files.

As far as mpeg-4 being recognized by windows? It's dicey. It's very client/install dependent.

I suspect when you say you're using the h.264 under QuickTime, you're meaning in the settings either the Apple>Formats>QuickTime>Apple h.264 or the Apple> Other Workflows > Web> Download> QuickTime 7 Compatible > h.264 (one of these.) I suspect you DON'T mean that you're adding your own preset.

It's a strange problem. If it only stutters on this one machine, Craig is dead on - it might not be worth the hassle to troubleshoot it, knowing that it plays back fine on client systems and in YouTube.

The question you have to ask yourself...if it's only a problem on that machine, is it really an issue?

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

Berry Carol
on Nov 18, 2014 at 7:20:28 am
Last Edited By Berry Carol on Dec 31, 2014 at 2:29:12 am

Note that there are several formats that use the ".mp4" file extension, including at least one that is proprietary to Microsoft, that have not been ported to Mac. If you just need to play the video any way you can, and don't specifically need it in QuickTime, you can try the freeware Macgo Free Media Player which supports more formats.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Nov 19, 2014 at 4:06:39 pm

Berry,

What MP4 format is proprietary to Microsoft? I'm curious as MP4 is a standard.

Why wouldn't you use VLC?

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

Berry Carol
on Dec 31, 2014 at 3:02:23 am

I also have VLC installed on my Mac and sometimes it's my player for mp4. Macgo media player is just another video tool I met accidentally. I have some Blu-ray discs, but VLC does not support playback of commercial Blu-ray discs with copy protection. Those require decryption keys, which only a commercial player can provide. So I search and got Macgo Blu-ray player finally. I paid. But if you have no need for Blu-ray, that free media player is enough, as well as VLC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]