FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on conforming different rates

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Dolan
Advice on conforming different rates
on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:57:00 am

I'm conforming a bunch of clips to 24p in Compressor, but as I get started I'm finding it is taking way too long. If you can offer a little help with some suggested settings, I'm grateful!

Here's the goal: The footage is all shot at different rates for different clients/projects. As I prepare it for one demo reel I need to convert it to one frame rate for editing. The lowest rate is 24p so I'm just going to use that for my edit, assuming it will look better than if the 24p and 25i stuff is converted to 30p.

I started with a 7-second 50i clip, applied the Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) preset, left the output size the same, (1920x1080) and changed the rate to 24 and frame controls to progressive.

It took about 5-7 minutes to process this seven second clip, so I wonder what settings need to be adjusted to allow good quality but lower conversion times. This will ultimately be output for the web, maybe as low as 480x270 resolution - higher if I can make this workflow faster. Should I not use the (HQ) version? I'm guessing there are more than 40 or 50 clips, so at this speed it's going to take forever.

Suggestions are appreciated! Oh- and here's some info as suggested by the Sticky at the top of the forum:

Computer: Mac Pro, Dual 2.26 Quad (fairly new- purchased late '09)
Operating system: OS X 10.6.6
Software: Compressor, version 3.5.3
Source codec: XDCAM EX mp4
Destination codec: Whatever... as long as it's decent quality and editable in FCP
Type of destination use: for editing in FCP

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]