FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for web

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Hawco
Compression for web
on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:37:10 am

I have a 9.5 GB .mov file that is 45 minutes in length that I would like to compress for web and maintain high quality. I want to upload it to Vimeo which means it needs to be smaller than 500 MB. Are there any ways of doing this using Apple Compressor, MPEG Streamclip, etc. ?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compression for web
on Mar 1, 2011 at 5:39:51 pm

I know you don't want to hear it. You can't do this with any tool and 'maintain high quality'

At that length, realistically, you're going to have to pay for the Pro features of Vimeo to upload your piece.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 2, 2011 at 4:06:36 pm

Y'know, I could be wrong. I read Michael's post and did the math. I was assuming an HD clip...

I'll revise my answer to "Maybe" - but no trial and error necessary, just some math. Well, yes, trial and error for quality...but not data rate.

A 45 min piece, at 500 megs, the max total data rate is about 1,500k/sec.

You'd have to be at SD h.264; if you went lower - 320x240 (or 400x300), sure, it'll upload. That value is CLOSE to a SD side and should be worth trying....keep your audio at AAC, mono, 64kbs,

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Michael Nielsen
on Mar 2, 2011 at 9:53:03 am

IF youre not afraid of some trial and error time, you might be able to maintain large portion of quality in an .mp4 (h.264) compression using a bitrate below 4.0, say 3.0 in SD, for upload.

If youre able - not through the quicktime codec, but straight .mp4 - it should land you around 12mb/minute = roughly 540mb for the 45min, but it very much depends on the amount and change of colors in your video.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]