FORUMS: list search recent posts

recipe for compressing an 8.75 hr event for DVD?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larkin Wilson
recipe for compressing an 8.75 hr event for DVD?
on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:34:08 am

I have a 5 part lecture series (a total of 8.75 hours of DV NTSC, SD 4:3 footage that needs to be compressed and delivered on DVD. Each lecture is roughly 1hour and 45minutes. What is the best recipe for compression and how many DVDs should I expect to use? I imagine a box set deliverable is the best, but can I consolidate down to 2-3 lectures per DVD (210 - 315 minutes) without a noticeable loss?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: recipe for compressing an 8.75 hr event for DVD?
on Mar 1, 2011 at 2:34:32 am

I just did a project like this but had 21 hours of lectures that all fit on four dual layer DVDs. I used BitVice to encode at 3-4 mbps which looked very good. With that bitrate you can expect almost 2 1/2 hours per layer which nets about 5 hours per dual layer disc, enough for your project for sure.

But I don't think compressor is up to the task. It can do it but running as low as 3-4 mbps VBR is gonna look crunchy out of Compressor.

BitVice does this very well. I think Episode 6 with the MainConcept engine can do it as well.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Larkin Wilson
on Mar 1, 2011 at 3:43:41 am

Thanks, Rich! That is helpful. I'll check out BitVice. I was going to use compressor, but good to know it would look crunchy. I'm a dual layer skeptic. Have you had good outcome with them? I worry about the reliability, shelf life and issues with replication.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 1, 2011 at 6:05:10 pm

I have only duplicated, not replicated a dual layer project so I don't know about the issues. With similar lengths of clips for each side, the split point should be pretty seamless.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]