FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Compression for Broadcasting

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Boulton
HD Compression for Broadcasting
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:27:21 pm

Experts,

I shot & edited 58 minutes in HD. The finish project codec is H.264 (used Apple Compressor). The file size is 11G, to large to deliver on DVD. Local cable network waiting for delivery today for broadcasting tomorrow.

What compression should I use to fit on DVD without degrading quality? Should I deliver on a hard-drive? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Your immediate consideration would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Sam Boulton

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: HD Compression for Broadcasting
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:32:51 pm

Generally smaller size = lower quality. Do they need HD? Do they care about codec? Some public access stations want a standard home playable DVD. If they just need the file and aren't concerned about the codec and want HD, you'll have to lower the data rate (and lose quality but it depends how visible that is to you). X264, which will run in Quicktime also, tends to be better at lower data rates than Apple's H.264 (which is one of the worst).

Return to posts index

Samuel Boulton
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:49:08 pm

HD is not a requirement. They prefer MPEG4, but not required. Most access producers deliver their content on DVDs, but usually 30 minute episodes. I also have a program called "MPEG Streamclip" with other options. What would you do?

Thk, Sam

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:28:19 pm

[Samuel Boulton] "They prefer MPEG4"

The codec or the wrapper? There is a difference. H.264 is the latest version of MPEG4 (MPEG4 Part 10) and can certainly be in an .mp4 wrapper as well.

The older version of MPEG4 is worse quality I can't see any reason to use it over the newer version. I know of no hurdles shot of 10 year old computers that haven't been updated. Heck, even Windows Media 12 can play H.264 .mp4 (Quicktime NOT NEEDED).

People REALLY have to understand the terminology or you can dig yourself into a hole or result in a poorer quality file.

MPEGStreamClip can certainly create H.264 .mp4
They may want a standard def size frame size and using the smaller frame size will give you better quality per given bit rate if they don't need HD. Just to keep things simple you might want to letterbox 16:9 in 4:3 to avoid the whole anamorphic pixel mess which they may or may not be able to handle.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:09:26 pm

Here's one you might try–try using the compressor preset for YouTube. It will be an H.264 file, and that 60 min. should fit on a DVD for physical delivery. The smart thing to do would be to test 1 min. of footage for its quality before you go down the full 60 min. path.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Samuel Boulton
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:21:36 pm

Which preset in Compressor are you referring too? Is it "Web Videocast / MPEG-4 - Webcasting", with width 320 & height 240? Or is it the one I use mostly for Youtube which is, "QT 7 compatible / H.264 LAN Streaming"?

thk, sam

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:40:13 pm

Type in youtube in the search box. you'll see the preset. It's an h.264 running around 8mb/s

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]