FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing powerpoint slides in video

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Bentley
Compressing powerpoint slides in video
on Feb 22, 2011 at 9:50:58 pm

Hi there,
I've been tasked with bringing some scientific presentations to the web. The video is similar to a news broadcast with a talking head next to slides which change every minute or so. The slides looks great in FCP, but I can't get satisfactory looking slides in any compressor format, especially DVD. The video footage of the speaker is HD source and the powerpoint slides are tiffs of a separate video track. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing powerpoint slides in video
on Feb 22, 2011 at 10:47:38 pm

PowerPoint slides can be a bit of a minefield.
You mention you're going to web but then you mention DVD. Different targets may mean different workflows.

Are you going to edit the speaker and the slides together in FCP?
If that's the case you might consider starting with an Apple ProRes sequence to do the least damage to the slides. You may have to deal with issues like scaling and issues with thin lines depending on the frame size of the slides and fonts and graphics used. Welcome to the minefield part.

Generally I warn clients about PowerPoint to video. They have to design slides with that in mind. Design issues range from frame size, color choices, font style and size, graphic elements.

I can't give any magic bullets (not to be confused by the software of the same name) because it really depends on the slide details.

Return to posts index

Andy Bentley
on Feb 22, 2011 at 10:55:54 pm

The sequence preset is Prores 422. I had to deliver the client a DVD for review but ultimately, it's going to live on the web. But though both export presets in Compressor, I haven't had much luck.

I know what you speak of, they are not formatted for this size, they're formatted to be projected on a wall, yet I still thought there might be some tweaking that could yeild better results. It's all about the science for the client, so some settings made for less action perhaps?

The other solution I've looked into is timed .jpgs of the slides next to the video of the speaker on the webpage. Similar to what's being done here:
http://videolectures.net/bbci09_schalk_taaoe/

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:24:21 pm

There are too many variables to say what would be best.
Person embedded with slides would mean person taking up slide real estate or some odd framing.
The slides themselves may need to be altered for best compression. It really depends on the slides.
I think the last option with speaker and timed slides would be good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]