FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for Retail DVDs : What do do?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Stoddart
Compression for Retail DVDs : What do do?
on Feb 21, 2011 at 8:15:47 pm

With the general public's eye getting use to HD content on their 40inch plus flat screens through HD broadcasts and Bluray, what compression settings do you use for the humble DVD now?
I use to always go for 2 pass VBR encodes, now I go for a high bitrate CBR encode, what bitrate settings do you go for, if you are not limited by the amount of material that has to go onto the DVD.(PAL)

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compression for Retail DVDs : What do do?
on Feb 23, 2011 at 3:46:54 am

CBR? High bit rate? 7.5-8.0 (if you're using AC3 audio).

There's not much higher you can go.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Feb 27, 2011 at 1:31:30 am

Also using an encoder like BitVice or the new Episode 6 might yield better encodes.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Matt Stoddart
on Feb 27, 2011 at 12:29:47 pm

Thanks Jeff, 8.0 is what I stick to nowadays, with Adobe media encoder do you have any suggestions for GOP setting. I use 2M/12N for PAL and 3M/15N for NTSC, is there a better setting?

Thanks Rich, Episode 6 looks interesting, I would give Bitvice a try, but the only Macs I still have active are some old G3/G4 , any puter with any omph are PCs now.
Episode 6 looks interesting.
About a year ago I had the chance to do a quick (ie basic presets) comparision between CS4, CCE SP 2.7, Procoder 3, MC Reference 1.6, all looked more or less the same on a high bitrate CBR or VBR encode, so out of convienence and expense I have stuck with CS4 encoder to date, but always looking for a better encode as more and more producers complain at 8.0 CBR DVDs now, not surprising after they just finish editing their baby (sorry feature) in HD on HD monitors, shame they can't afford Bluray.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]