FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor question

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Dunford
Compressor question
on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:46:45 am

I deliver TV programmes to TV stations in MPEG2 format and in my effort to find the highest quality results, I noticed within the Inspector/Encoding tabs, there is the option to set "YUV at 4.2.2 color encoding".
I am not so experienced with MPEG2 formats. Does this option indicate that unless it is selected, the color space will not be 4.2.2? If so, what will the color space be? Would setting it to 4.2.2 give me a more robust encoding. The final delivery is satellite transmission, which I don't know is 4.2.2 or something else.
Help! Please enlighten me!
Rob

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compressor question
on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:16:50 pm

Rob,

Most MPEG-2 streams (especially for DVDs) are encoded at 4:2:0.
4 luma samples, and then 2 Chroma prime red and 0 Chroma prime blue on field 1.
4 luma samples, and then 0 Chroma prime red and 2 Chroma prime blue on field 2.

It interpolates the missing colors upwards/downwards.

4:2:2 closer matches video tape, and some playout servers want the more robust chroma information. If it's unchecked, Compressor is making 4:2:0 MPEG-2 streams.

About your satellite transmission? Ask them the specifics of the MPEG-2 file they want.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Rob Dunford
Re: Compressor question
on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:23:16 pm

Hi Jeff, that's about what I figured re. color space. So far we have been delivering 4.2.0 and had no complaints. But I'm always looking to improve IQ and will try a 4.2.2 sample with the station for compatibility. Thanks for the confirmation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]