FORUMS: list search recent posts

Original Project larger after compression???

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Davin
Original Project larger after compression???
on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:37:40 pm

Hi Guys

Been battling this for a couple of days. I have a 35min project shot with EX1's, transfered straight in to FCP using XDCAM Transfer.

Cut the project and mixed it with Motion graphics ((light and simple) imported directly to timeline as .motn files.))

Once completed, I exported the project as Quick Time self contained project ended up at about 8GB. Dragged into compressor, added H.264 codec (for online viewing only) and the project ended up at 11GB??

I went through the above steps because of the difficulties I had with the project failing time after time when I exported from FCP to compressor directly and it taking 13 plus hours! I've learned that compressor can't manage projects directly from FCP when utilising Qmaster and all 8 cores.

I've worked on much larger projects and I'm completely stumped. The only thing I've done differently this time is to bring my graphics straight in without exporting them first from Motion. Could Motion be my problem here?

Using MAC Pro 16GB 2x 2.26Ghz Quad Core...

Any help would be appreciated, I need to upload the project for client viewing... 11GB way too big to upload or stream!

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave Davin
Creative Director

RAIC Productions
http://www.raicproductions.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Original Project larger after compression???
on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:02:40 pm

Start by using one of Compressor's Quicktime 7 presets and see what happens.
Data rate controls file size. If you made a custom settings you may have accidentally turned that up or set it on Automatic and Quality on Best.

Return to posts index

Dave Davin
on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:51:20 pm

Hi Craig

Thanks for the reply, I haven't tweaked anything. Simply exported as quicktime file self contained from FCP time line. Once completed I dragged the 8gb .mov file into compressor, dragged the h.264 codec in and let rip. I wanted its best preset setting so left it at its default and as mentioned it became 11GB. It should in my experience come right down through compression for it to be suitable for uploading.

This is the first time I've worked this way. I would normally complete my edit and then send to compressor and from there drag my codec in. Usually no problem except the wait!

The reason I changed was that sending to compressor and adding in this case the h.264 codec was taking up to 13++ hours and kept failing before finishing. For a project of this length and not being as heavy as past projects I looked at trying to utilise all my cores and understand the problem with this scenario.

I haven't utilised qmaster and all my cores to date as in the past it would just fail by sending to compressor directy from FCP. I only recently learned of the problem qmaster has with projects being sent directly from FCP and that you are best exporting as quicktime file self contained, switching on qmaster and then dragging your file in to compressor rather than sending.

Apologies for the long post I just want to give you as much info as I have experienced to date. I have a sneaky feeling that the .motn files that are brought to FCP are causing the hassle... I would have always created my project in motion then exported uncompressed and then imported it back into FCP.

Thanks again

Dave

Dave Davin
Creative Director

RAIC Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:23:38 pm

[Dave Davin] "dragged the h.264 codec in"
??? Sorry but this doesn't sound like Compressor. You have to use a preset or create your own. Please use one of the Quicktime 7 presets and test.

Return to posts index

Dave Davin
on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:38:37 pm

hi Craig

Sorry I meant to say at the time I used the preset default Quicktime 7 h.264 codec.

Dave Davin
Creative Director

RAIC Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:44:27 pm

Which preset?
They all have fairly low default data rates.

Return to posts index

Dave Davin
on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:55:17 pm

Its default setting without any tweaking. I feel it might be the motion content that was taking straight into FCP without being compressed firstly that might be the problem.

Just completed another test without using qmaster. 8gb mov file self contained straight from FCP added to compressor using quicktime 7 default h264 codec finished with at 11gb the exact same result as i thought.

Going to try and send directly to compressor straight from FCP now using quicktime 7 h264 codec to see what happens after that I'll go back into motion and export the graphic projects as uncompressed files, import them into the project and swap them with the current .motn files to see if thats the problem

thanks again Craig

Dave

Dave Davin
Creative Director

RAIC Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:02:33 am

[Dave Davin] "Its default setting without any tweaking. "

We're talking in circles. There is no "default" setting in Compressor. There's presets and you either pick one, duplicate and modify, create your own.

If you can't name a specific preset in Compressor you're not describing what you're doing accurately . All the presets have names. There is no "default" in Compressor.

Return to posts index

Dave Davin
on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:12:21 am

Apologies

when I say 'default' i mean the 'preset' h264 quicktime codec

Name: QuickTime H.264
Description: H.264 video with stereo AAC audio. Settings based off the source resolution and frame-rate.
File Extension: mov
Estimated size: unknown
Audio Encoder
AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: (100% of source)
Height: (100% of source)
Pixel aspect ratio: Default
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 100
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25

Frame controls: off
Resize filter: Better linear filter
output fileds: same as source
De interlace: Fast line averaging
Anti alias 0
detail levels 0
rate conversion fast
set duration 100%
fame size 100% source

Dave Davin
Creative Director

RAIC Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:36:01 am

In Compressor there are presets under
Web/Download/QuickTime 7 Compatible
H.264 100Kbps
H.264 300Kbps
H.264 40Kbps
H.264 800Kbps
H.264 LAN

Those are the ONLY ones listed under QuickTime 7 Compatible.
You are reading a Summary and even in the Summary area in the Inspector under
min. temporal quality: 25
there should be
Average Data Rate: xxxx (Mbps)
Fast Start: on (or off)

You have?
Name: QuickTime H.264
Description: H.264 video with stereo AAC audio. Settings based off the source resolution and frame-rate.

This is not one of the Apple's presets. This would be a custom preset.

At the very top of the Inspector is has
Name:
Description:

____
Please use one of the QuickTime 7 Compatible presets such as
H.264 LAN

Return to posts index

Dave Davin
on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:46:59 am

Thanks Craig

I'll revert and try again.

Dave

Dave Davin
Creative Director

RAIC Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:54:38 am

Please do. The setting you are describing sounds like what I describe in this post
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/20/866896
It is not an Apple preset but a custom setting with the Data Rate set to Automatic. That can create extremely high data rates. Please use an Apple provided Preset. They can't be modified unless you duplicate them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]