FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing Mpeg for DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lili Chin
Compressing Mpeg for DVD
on Feb 2, 2011 at 9:33:23 pm

Hello,

I am having trouble with an mpeg that I am making for a DVD playback on both TV plasma screens and Apple LCD displays. When I create and mpeg from the quicktime (which looks fine) there is a fine white line at the top of my image (when I play it back as an mpeg in quicktime and DVD player). It's almost as if the compressor (compressor 3.0) is taking a line from the bottom of the frame and putting it on top. I only see this on a monitor that can play back the image at full frame.

I am compressing at the following:

5.5 - 6.5mbps
GOP - Open
GOP size 6

recompressed this also at

5.5 - 6.5
GOP - Closed
GOP size 15

Has anyone encountered this problem and can tell me how to fix it?

Thanks
Lili

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compressing Mpeg for DVD
on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:47:42 am

What's the original format? I'm curious if it's full NTSC 720x486 or HD.

Have you tried the apple preset?

Wait - is this interlaced content? does the line flicker on/off/on/off?

I think you're seeing what's called the underscan area (outside of action safe) and viewing the upper field on a progressive display (the Plasma + apple screen.) There may not be much you can do about it. It's part of the picture that's not supposed to be seen.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Lili Chin
Re: Compressing Mpeg for DVD
on Feb 4, 2011 at 7:30:21 pm

Thank you Jeff,

I am going from NTSC DV 720 x 786 compressed (tested with both the preset and my own settings) to Mpeg2. It is strange, I don't see it in the original quicktime, when I play back the source (before compressed) in QT and in FCP. It's not on other mpeg files that were generated a year ago from the same source, so I'm trying to figure out what the problem could be. It does look like an over scan, but it also looks like there is a frame misregister with the image, taking white lines from the bottom of the frame and putting it on top.

It doesn't happen all the time, only on some clips.

thanks,

Lili

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]