FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame rate issue when using Compressor for MPEG2 Program Stream

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
galen carter
Frame rate issue when using Compressor for MPEG2 Program Stream
on Jan 28, 2011 at 9:14:13 pm

I'm a little green when it comes to using Compressor. I downloaded some iStock HD videos and put them in a timeline and exported a self contained QT file that looks great.

However, whenever I use compressor to make an MPEG-2 Program stream file (not changing any settings) it comes out with serious frame rate issues. It looks like it is 8-10 fps.

I've tried googling and searching the apple forums for similar issues but haven't been able to figure it out.

Return to posts index

Emanuel Ach
Re: Frame rate issue when using Compressor for MPEG2 Program Stream
on Jan 28, 2011 at 9:37:43 pm

I didn't have any problem with istockphoto HD movies. I use similar settings like mpeg2 program one, but I usually skip the exporting part and send it directly to compressor. I actually never exported an istockphoto HD movie right from FCP.

My 2 cents

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 28, 2011 at 10:41:53 pm

What codec are the source files. I've seen some odd issues with Animation codec so I'd recommend going to Apple ProRes.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Jan 29, 2011 at 12:20:18 am

When you say it looks like it's 8-10fps are you judging it by the look of the playback or is it actually reading as 8-10fps? MPEG-2 encoding is usually only for very specific uses (like DVDs). Most Mac video players can't even play m2v videos, let alone play them smoothly.

In short:

1) Is mpeg-2 really what you want?

2) Are your videos actually suffering from a frame rate problem or does it just sort of look like they are?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 29, 2011 at 4:42:55 pm

[Olin Padilla] "MPEG-2 encoding is usually only for very specific uses (like DVDs). Most Mac video players can't even play m2v videos, let alone play them smoothly.
"

MPEG2 Program Streams can be used in broadcast. Often standard def TV spot delivery is MPEG2 Program Stream. Apple sells an MPEG2 playback component for Quicktime. He's clearly able to play back the file since he's making a judgement about the frame rate.

I do wish he'd respond to the frame rate issue though.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Jan 29, 2011 at 10:48:49 pm

Even without the playback component you can still view m2vs on a Mac using VLC (and probably some other 3rd party applications), but the playback tends to be choppy and could be misinterpreted as the wrong frame rate. Transcoding them is a different issue.

As far as I know, MPEG-2 encoding is limited to standard resolutions and frame rates. It sounds to me like it's a playback issue.

Return to posts index

galen carter
on Jan 31, 2011 at 2:29:49 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm going to go down the list and respond to all the questions as best as I can.

The source files are all Photo - JPEG.

The frame rate was just me estimating. It actually comes out as the "correct frame rate" it only looks jumpy.

I tried both exporting straight from compressor and exporting a self contained QT file and then using compressor.

MPEG program stream is what the station wants, so I'm afraid that my hands are tied. I was under the impression that this was a common codec.

Is there any way to tell if it's a playback issue without sending it over to the station first? I don't want to waste their time if it's my lack of knowledge causing all of this.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 31, 2011 at 4:58:42 pm

[galen carter] "The frame rate was just me estimating. It actually comes out as the "correct frame rate" it only looks jumpy."

Then it may just be a playback issue on your system.

[galen carter] "MPEG program stream is what the station wants, so I'm afraid that my hands are tied. I was under the impression that this was a common codec. "

It is. That's what I said. Others assumed the codec was just for DVDs apparently. I do my standard def spot delivery as MPEG2 Program Streams because, as you note, that's what many want.

You could try playing in VLC but if the data rate is high your system might have issues. Of course your file may be fine despite the playback on your system. Assuming the station or intermediary does QC, they'll let you know if there's an issue.

Return to posts index

galen carter
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:09:04 pm

I forgot to mention that the final export is for HD.

Do you use MPEG Program Stream for HD? If not, what do you recommend?

Thank you so much for the help!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 31, 2011 at 6:10:00 pm

For HD, MPEG Transport Stream. If the station wants Program Stream that shouldn't be a problem though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]