FORUMS: list search recent posts

.mov for web, need small file size

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sandy rangs
.mov for web, need small file size
on Jan 27, 2011 at 7:47:46 pm

I have an aefx project, approx. 25 minutes in length, that I need to post to the web. I am trying to get the smallest file size possible while rendering to .mov format. I am trying to stick around 480x360 res and am rendering h.264 @ half quality. File is still pretty big (400 mb) - any suggestions?? (it contains video and slight animation)
Computer: using mac osx 10.6.6
My goal: post .mov on web for users to quickly view.
Downloaded trial of sorensen squeeze...worked great, but very pricey.
Any suggestions/info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
Re: .mov for web, need small file size
on Jan 28, 2011 at 12:46:58 am

OK, a couple of things.

First, don't assume that Sorenson is going to give you better results than any other compression software. Your codec and settings are what matters.

Second, don't forget about your audio. Choose AAC as your compressor, and you should be able to knock quite a bit off that size.

Third, half on the h.264 scale is actually pretty high for web, especially for a 25 min video. Youtube videos at that resolution are encoded at roughly 500kbps (which is considerably lower than 50%).

If this is for personal use, I would look in to using Vimeo. It will give you pretty decent quality while saving you the headache of hosting and embedding the video, and these days it's considered pretty acceptable in the professional community.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: .mov for web, need small file size
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:20:17 pm

File size is generally
kbits/second times duration seconds = size.
Then convert to MBytes or GBytes as needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]