FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering 1,000 hours of video?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Po
Rendering 1,000 hours of video?
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:50:47 am

So I have a few questions about streamlining rendering.
I have about 1,000 hours of video (each clip is an hour long, so that's 1000 clips) which need to have a lower third bug placed on them for their full duration.

I am planning on doing the work with FCP/Compressor. I have a 2.8 quadcore with 8GB of ram. SATA drive for the OS and FCP, a SATA drive for the incoming files and a SATA drive for the exported files.

1. Do you have any amazing work flow ideas for me?

2. Is it true that FCP only utilized 4GB of ram? What about compressor? Is it worth upgrading another 8GB of ram? How much does compressor utilize? Would you suggest automating an "export through quicktime conversion" or doing batches with compressor?

3. I'm considering buying a 2nd computer, or maybe a few computers, to disperse the work. Would you suggest working each computer separate or tethering (farming) them together?

Just looking for someone to help point me in the right direction for such a hefty project.

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
Re: Rendering 1,000 hours of video?
on Jan 25, 2011 at 7:17:37 am

Sounds to me like you should go old school here
Just buy a used switcher and tbc with a
still store and do a simple key of your bug
One real time pass and you are done.
GVG made a unit the DSK 101 just for this purpose
and Leitch made a Log inserter that let you animate the bug.
You can get this stuff on ebay for cheap.

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

Dave Po
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:55:48 pm

I forgot to mention. Everything is h.264 and must end up h.264.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Jan 25, 2011 at 7:43:26 pm

For the truly intrepid, I would look into automating this in AE. You can set it to import, add the bug, render, etc. automatically through your batch. Also, if you have cs5 than it should be able to utilize more than 4gigs of RAM.

If you did get a 2nd computer, then you could set it up like a render farm using AE.

This might need a custom script, I don't know. I've never automated something like this.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:27:10 pm

Build a preset with your watermark and encoding (h.264) placed as you like.
Then turn this into a droplet.
Drop your files onto it.

All the FCS3 (and prior) apps are 32 bit; therefore limited to 4 gigs of ram.
If you have a gig ethernet switch, you could setup 2-3 machines in a QMaster farm.
If you're spending money like that, I'd also recommend taking a quick look at the solutions from Sorenson and Telestream for clustering.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Feb 8, 2011 at 6:33:52 pm

You need to compress 1,000 hours of video? Epic! My take:

Compressor will do what Jeff describes, play with short clips until you get the overlay correct.

It's also not the most efficient encoder out there. I'd look at investing in Episode Pro from Telestream - it'll do the overlays, has very powerful workflow/processing abilities, and (I think - jump in here Cow ppl) will encode more efficiently than Compressor (utilizing more cores & RAM).

Adobe Media Encoder on my new 8-core Mac Pro encodes H.264 more than twice as fast than MPEG Streamclip with the x264 encoder (which didn't use all the cores). Very impressive.

For the amount of footy you have, you might also consider a hardware encoder like the Matrox MAX or ElGato USB dongle. If encoding takes a 2:1 ratio, you're looking at 83 days to encode that material.

Hope you don't mind not using your comp(s) in that season... What on earth generated this much footage?

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, XSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]