specific content compression for web

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Mayrhofer
specific content compression for web
on Jan 23, 2011 at 6:03:03 pm

Hello,

I got this project, which is coming to an end:

(this is the trailer as an example for the whole video)

But I am not really familiar with encoding/compression for the web. My research told me that the content of the video is very difficult to compress.
I got lots of banding which I battled with grain and those subtle gradients and an almost monochromatic video shouldn't make compression easier.
well, I can't change the content but I am happy for every info on how I should go from here. I don't really have a workflow to follow from here on.

Are there any tricks like "avoid grain and do x instead to get rid of the banding because it works better with encoders"?

I really read a lot about this topic and googled my ass of - there is lot of answers - but it's always very projectspecific.

My plan is to export an uncompressed .mov from after effects and go from there with something like "super" or adobe media encoder. It will be a trial and error process but maybe somebody can give me some light before I tap in the dark until I want to commit suicide ;)

best,
Rafael

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: specific content compression for web
on Jan 23, 2011 at 11:59:31 pm

I'd do some noise reduction in AE.

Since we're going for quality...the higher the bit rate, the better...but the problem you're going to run into, is that for a full size video, the size will be huge, especially if you want 1080p (I'm assuming it's a 1080 piece).

A 1080 piece should be a minimum of 10 mb/s (for FLV (h.264) or h.264)
Start with the adobe presets and an IN/OUT point of 30 seconds (now you're doing a SMALL test!)

A great compromise is a 940x540 - which means you can cut the data rate into 1/4.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Jan 25, 2011 at 7:49:53 pm

Yeah, this would be a good time for more info.

How/where are you hosting it?
What format are you planning to use?
Is the video going to be scaled from it's original size?
Any other relevant info?

I have specific answers to all these.

Return to posts index

Rafael Mayrhofer
on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:15:23 pm

Sorry for the late answer:

- vimeo as well as youtube
- i prefer 1080p ... at least on vimeo there will be a Full HD version. If 1080 looks crappy on youtube I will upload a smaller resolution file there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]