FORUMS: list search recent posts

different formats, same film compression...please!!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cano Rojas
different formats, same film compression...please!!
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:37:08 pm

I shot my last documentary using a Sony EX-1, Canon 7D and a Canon 5dMii. been asking around for what would be the best way to edit the film. currently we convert everything to Proress Proxy. Is that right?
Is there a better way to be able to work with these different formats??? the Ex-1 footage looks a bit pixelated so kinda worry if eventually we wanna go to the big screen...
Appreciate your help here... having a hard time with the issue and time is going by. Many thanks!!!!

CaNo Rojas

Documentary Filmmaker

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: different formats, same film compression...please!!
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:39:22 pm

Personally I find the offline/online workflow awkward. Unless you have serious hard drive limitations, I'd convert everything to a much higher quality that ProResProxy. You'd also have to weigh the time it takes to convert all source vs only the final master but, in the long run, I think it's more convenient to have everything in final timeline codec.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:10:20 pm

Is the ex1 footage DVCPro-HD? If so, I have edited Prores footage with DVCPro-HD on many occasions without any hassles, needs for renders, or quality degradation.

I agree with Craig's thoughts on offline/online. I don't see any reason not to transcode the Canon footage to something more final. Standard ProRes has never done me wrong, even on really slow computers.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:41:03 pm

I'll chime in agreement as well:
Drives are fairly cheap - if you can avoid an online/offline workflow, do so.

Otherwise, you'll need to image every card (better back those up.)
Then transcode everything to prores - making sure you assign reel numbers to each card
Then use the timeline to recapture everything you used in the higher codec.

Why not work with ProRes LT or ProRess 422 and avoid the hassle?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]