FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd quality from Producer

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ralph conradt
dvd quality from Producer
on Jan 16, 2011 at 7:09:40 pm

I use TOAST to burn dvds. From Producer >export from edit suite>self contained mov.
How can I improve the quality?
Sometimes the quality is so poor that I take it to an FCP editor who imports and burns me dvds. Very costly and it seems to be should not be neccessary.
Mac OS 10.4.11 Media 100 Producer 11.5.1 imported as SD

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: dvd quality from Producer
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:12:17 pm

I'll assume you're working with footage that looks decent in Media 100? I have no idea about producer - but if you're exporting as self contained - it should be passing the timeline out of your editor to Toast.

In toast, I should assume that you've tried the Best slider? If so...
Press the More Button.
Click on the encoding tab.
Take your average bit rate to 5 or 6 mbs. If you're doing less than 60 minutes? Take it up to 7Mbs.

This should produce a better looking DVD - Save it as a disc image and preview it on Apple's DVD player (to save yourself wasting a disc if you're not happy.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:28:37 pm

Thanks for the advise Jeff.
The video looks decent in M100. A few years back most of my colleagues moved from M100 to FCP cause of the poor quality of the DVDs from M100. I bought FCP but never got comfortable with it cause I only edit a few days every few months. M100 I can do blindfolded.

I will run some tests.

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Feb 19, 2011 at 11:02:05 pm

Jeff:
I have tried all of what you said and the result still is not professionally acceptable. I do a song and dance to clients regarding preview copies not being the same as what will be uploaded but it is stil embarrassing.
Floh recommends BitVice as part of the MediaDVD copy process but I hate to buy it and still have terrible quality since I am not technical. Reading the Conpressor manual makes my head spin.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 23, 2011 at 2:21:35 am

Ralph,

I've been at a conference the past week...so I didn't see anything till today when I came out of my shell.

I'm curious - what specific SD format are you working with? There is a chance that you're working 720x486 and Toast isn't recognizing it. We can troubleshoot this in Toast or Compressor (or anything else for that manner)

Could you be a bit more specific than the result isn't professionally acceptable? The film purist in me says all dvds (and SD) looks like hell compared to the Super 16mm prints we used to make.

Last, I'm curious on how you're judging the DVD - on a computer or on a TV set.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Feb 23, 2011 at 3:19:20 am

I finally got something that looks pretty good while working with Floh. Here is the thread if you wish to follow it. http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/4/865658

In short I have mini DV format inputting in M100 DV codec. Export as DV stream. WHat I was not doing was adjusting for the way M100 looks at DV. I pulled the blacks down and added chroma and contrast. The result is a DVD that is better than what I get out of iMovie which I expect would be the same codec as FCP uses. Of course iMovie does not allow me to tweak any levels so perhaps my FCP would be even better than M100 but I am satisfied. WIsh it had not taken me so long to get here. You can be certain that I will make thorough notes about SETTINGS. Key note is select Computer 0-255 which I had not been doing. THanks so much for your interest.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 23, 2011 at 3:58:47 am

Wow- yeah, you were outputting video at 16-235 (broadcast safe). Toast doesn't know what to do with that.

Glad your problem is solved.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]