FORUMS: list search recent posts

converting video_ts to work with FCP

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
george sloan
converting video_ts to work with FCP
on Jan 8, 2011 at 1:19:15 am

Looking for constructive advice.

I have no choice but to convert several clips from VIDEO_TS using MPEG Streamclip for editing on a
FCP 1080i Timeline.

The source material for the VIDEO_TS is from DVCAM SD 4:3 Tape.
I have tried converting to QT Movie and exporting to the FCP 1080i Timeline with very
poor results.

The FCP timeline is in 1080i because a majority of the clips were shot as 1080i.

Must work with what I got which is Apple Compressor FCP, Streamclip on mac pro intel.

Thanks George

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: converting video_ts to work with FCP
on Jan 8, 2011 at 2:04:20 am

SD 4:3 material already compressed to MPEG2 isn't going to ever look very good in a 1080i project. Short of using a hardware based up-scaler than has line doubling or quadrupling ability, there isn't that much you can do.

One thing we've done when we've had to use SD material in an HD project is to NOT up-rez it...but instead combine the SD shots on-screen either split-screen or in 3 stylistic boxed areas etc.

We used to do this with VHS stuff people wanted to put into their SD projects with excellent results.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 8, 2011 at 2:26:19 am

I echo chris' thoughts...it doesn't matter where it came from. U now have SD content at possibly 7-8mbps...it's definitely not optimal...but doing a treatment, like inserting it in a graphical frame...or doing some other compositing techniques can disguise the poor quality.

Maybe this should be posted in the "de-compression techniques" forum! :)

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 8, 2011 at 2:29:01 am

I hit submit too soon...chris, saw u are out of evansville! I work in Bloomington...graduated from Vincennes. I have a couple friends at who work at wfie! Small world.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Jan 8, 2011 at 4:54:37 pm

Jason,

Yes it is. We had an intern who worked with us that's now at WFIE. I can't remember his last name. First name was A.J...A great kid. He one you know?

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 8, 2011 at 5:17:04 pm

Possibly...would have been out of college in '99. This is a bit off topic, we can continue this discussion in email...hit me up at

Jbtwist@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 9, 2011 at 5:55:57 pm

Well, you've gone from a DV 25 master through an MPEG 2 (at 3-7mbs) and you want to go to HD?

Yeah, not much great here....I have an idea to waste a solid hour or two of your time. The video should look marginally better, but yes, it'll still look soft.

Transcode from the VOB to an uncompressed QuickTime file (anything else and you're involving another compression pass.)
Take the resulting QuickTime over to compressor...and try upscaling there:
ProRes 422 or ProRes LT (no point in going larger)
Have it pad the image (pillar boxing - 'black bars' on the sides) to minimize the upscaling.
Turn on the resize via Frame controls and use "Best (statistical prediction)" along with playing with the anti-alias and details level controls.

I'd convert 10 seconds or so, with about 10 different variance using these settings to see how far I could push the results.

If you have a budget, you might want to try downloading the trial of Instant HD from Red Giant as well.

Best,

Jeff G

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]