FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV Codec for the AVS Video Converter

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Amato
DV Codec for the AVS Video Converter
on Jan 7, 2011 at 1:58:41 pm

I don`t know if this is the right forum ...

This may sound as a newbie question, but here goes ...

I need a DV Codec for the AVS Video Converter. I`ve planned to use the Panasonic DV Codec 2.64. But there is so many out there. Is there a difference in quality? And if so - which one is the best codec?

I have just installed Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum on my computer and was sure that there was an DV Codec within the program.
But when I installed the AVS, it was without the codec.
The people on their website said that the fact is that DV codec is an external codec. Please make sure that you have DV codec installed on your PC.
I was sure Vegas had it ...

So - is there a difference in quality between them all?

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: DV Codec for the AVS Video Converter
on Jan 8, 2011 at 1:57:50 am

There's a difference between them but it's not huge. Microsoft's DV codec is generally considered pretty poor. But there are many others, from Panasonic's to Canopus that are all considered good codecs.

Keep in mind DV is a pretty ancient codec that's relatively low quality. It's similar to MPEG2 in that it uses 4:1:1 color space (meaning half the color is thrown out), 5:1 video compression, which in practice seems much higher since the video portion of a DV video file is 2.5MB. They get to that number by taking a 20MB/sec uncompressed starting point, throwing out half the color (theoretically the file becomes 10MB), then compressing that 5:1 to get to 2.5MB.

If you have the Panasonic codec, when you install it other applications should see it.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Bob Amato
Re: DV Codec for the AVS Video Converter
on Jan 8, 2011 at 3:30:27 am

Thanks Chris =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>