FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to cut .mov files without compression?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lois Heckland
How to cut .mov files without compression?
on Jan 7, 2011 at 3:39:26 am

Hi everyone,

I have a digital photo-camera that also takes .mov movie files, which I upload to my computer. I would love to cut portions out of these to shorten them.

Is there a program that will allow me to cut parts from the .mov without adding any sort of compression? (The files are small and bad quality to begin with, so I don't want to compress them further). I don't want to do any further editing other than chopping segments out.

I have used the program VirtualDub for the same thing before, and it worked perfectly, but it does not work with .mov files.

Thanks for any leads!

Lois

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: How to cut .mov files without compression?
on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:00:42 am

If you use Quicktime Pro, you can set in and out points...and edit - trim to selection.

Then (this is important) you SAVE AS and it will downscale your file, using the same video and audio attributes without re-compressing. If you simply save, the file size will be the same.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:48:11 pm

I haven't tried it - but the latest version of Virtualdub does handle QuickTime http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub
"Import plugins: Download Virtualdub plugin pack here, import MPEG2,WMV,FLV,MOV,MP4,AC3 directly in Virtualdub. Extract the folders to the Virtualdub folder. "

The issue is that you're dealing with compressed files that have a GOP pattern - you can trim them using QuickTime Pro - and even cut and paste in QuickTime Pro.

The other (conventional, painful) method is to work uncompressed, producing giant files, but not adding any extra compression to these files.

Best,

Jeff G

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 7, 2011 at 1:39:35 pm

Jeff! Hey...I was just reading an email about upcoming NAB! are u doing classes again this year? You and Abba were awesome last year!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:03:32 pm

As of right now - I'm doing six classes - and yes - Abba and I will be doing our 'tips and tricks' 3 hr session again!

Best,

Jeff G

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:06:50 pm

3 hour? From what I remember we went over an hour!! :)

To jog ur memory, I was the guy with the "delete multiple audio keyframe" question. Really looking forward to some engaging classes again this year!

Return to posts index

Lois Heckland
on Jan 9, 2011 at 7:19:26 pm

Oh wow, that could be a simple answer! Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention.

Quicktime Pro I'm sure works perfectly, but I'm hoping to avoid buying new software at this time.

And you're correct, smaller file size is ideal, so uncompressed files wouldn't be a good solution.

Return to posts index

Lois Heckland
on Jan 9, 2011 at 7:21:10 pm

(That = the new Virtualdub)

Return to posts index

Lois Heckland
on Jan 10, 2011 at 5:43:25 pm

Update: I couldn't get Virtualdub to recognize .mov files even after downloading their .mov plugin and placing it in every directory I could think of.

However, I tried it with Avidemux and it works like a charm. (Also free software). So there's your answer, anyone coming here with the same question!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]