FORUMS: list search recent posts

using compressor for local cable tv broadcast

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
george sloan
using compressor for local cable tv broadcast
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:10:16 pm

Can any one help?
Using the process described from FAQ...entitled...

"How do I create a Standard DVD from an HD Project?
From your finished HD timeline:"

Works great but no good for delivering on DVD to broadcast using an older encoder/modulator.
Which takes the dvd material and squishes/elongates the images for standard mgeg2.

I have talked to the station and the modulator'encoder manufacter... they know nothing but standard def
4:3 mpeg 2 which is what they want on DVD. I would like a higher quality product since I am shoooting in 1O80i. Shoot I give up and just shoot and or edit in sd. (cannot buy new hardware at this time)

George

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: using compressor for local cable tv broadcast
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:21:54 pm

Do they want DVD-Video or a file on a DVD? BIG difference. Outside of public access I can't imagine any asking for DVD-Video. Normally it would be MPEG2 Program Stream for Standard Def.

Return to posts index

george sloan
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:56:54 pm

This is basically a public access...
yes i have been delivering DVD video and they just put on antyhing I give them...which is part of the problem. Their mpeg2 encoder just sees it as 16X9 distorts it squished 4X3 and broadcast it

i am currently compressing using compressor. to address this very issue
I am using custom settings....

Under steam usage there are 2 possible choices...Generic or sd dvd. I chose Generic this time.
under aspect ratio i chose 4x3....

Could this be the elusive.".MPEG2 Program Stream for Standard Def"
you mentioned?

am i just distorting it for them...so that don't need to distort it for me?
Thanks George

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:02:49 am

[george sloan] "This is basically a public access..."
OK. Makes sense since many public access channels accept DVD video.

[george sloan] "Their mpeg2 encoder just sees it as 16X9 distorts it squished 4X3 and broadcast it"

In Standard Def, 16x9 is a change in pixel shape (the flag for it) so that 16x9 and 4x3 are both 720x480 so if you're making an anamorphic (SD 16x9) DVD their encoder probably just sees is as 720x480 and makes it 4x3.

The trick is forcing to be letterbox rather than anamorphic. I'm trying to remember how to do this in Compressor for DVDs as it's not standard.

Try this.
Duplicate a DVD setting in Compressor.
Under Encoder button Video Format tab change Aspect Ratio to 4:3
Under Geometry button Output Image Inset (Padding) change Padding to Preserve source aspect ratio
Open the file in QuickTime and see if it shows the Letter Box. If you don't have MPEG2 play component then check the file in VLC Player.
If you have an HDTV with a DVD Player attached then after burning the DVD check it in that. You should see a letter box black bars. If it were anamorphic it'll fill the screen and not show the black bars. You don't want that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]