FORUMS: list search recent posts

Benefits of Compressor and Compression Knowledge

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelley Tuck
Benefits of Compressor and Compression Knowledge
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:08:10 pm

Hey All,

I've been through several posts, and there are so many things to filter through, and because my exact question is not being addressed (or at least I can't find it), I wind up with more questions. So, I decided to post my own.

I used to export using QuickTime conversion. About a year ago, I understood from a COW forum that it was better to export to a reference file and then use Compressor, which has worked wonderfully, and although I have to wait extra long with my machine to complete renders, this has been a rock solid way to do it.

Now, I've discovered that when going to DVD in DVD Studio Pro, I can actually take the reference movie straight into DVDSP and it seems to work fine.

So, what are the benefits of going through Compressor, and using, say the 'Best Quality for 90-minute DVD' option, versus just using the reference file?

My second/third questions are: I really don't understand compression as much as I need to or would like. Not only am I responsible for getting stuff up on the web but also into archive formats and formats that work with MediaShout, etc. etc. The five compressions schemes I need on a normal basis are:

1. Best Compression for 720p, 24 fps for a best quality computer file archive
2. Best Compression for a 720X480, 29.97 fps for a best quality DVD archive
3. Best Compression for a 720p, 29.97 fps for a best quality DVD archive
4. Best Compression for a 720p, 24 fps for a best quality MPEG-2 for use in MediaShout (MediaShout constantly freezes when using H.264 or other quicktime compressions)
5. Best Compression for a 720p, 24 fps for a best quality, smallest size and fastest streaming web file

I'm not against reading or researching to learn, so if there is a book that I can be pointed to in order to figure this stuff out, that's fine. Or, if someone has the info already and is willing to share, that'd be great. My computer specs are below:
  • MacBook Pro, Version 10.5.8
  • FinalCut Pro 6.0.6
  • Compressor 3.0.5
  • DVD Studio Pro 4.2.1
  • Source - either uncompressed 720p footage from P2 Cards or 720X480 .mov files, imported from our service DVDs (we still use a hard drive recorder that has no output capability other than DVD)
  • Destination & Use - see above

Thank you!!!

Agape,
Kelley D. Tuck

“And so, since God in His mercy has given us this wonderful ministry, we never give up.”
2 Corinthians 4:1 (NLT)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Benefits of Compressor and Compression Knowledge
on Dec 22, 2010 at 6:56:49 pm

Given the speed of change in the world of compression, books become outdated fast. One of the best places to learn on the web is Streaming Learning Center
http://streaminglearningcenter.com/

This tutorial DVD might be good too.
http://store.creativecow.net/p/64/internet_killed_the_video_star
and some details about the DVD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/ITKVS2.php

Return to posts index

Kelley Tuck
Re: Benefits of Compressor and Compression Knowledge
on Dec 22, 2010 at 7:01:47 pm

Hey - thanks so much!!!

Agape,
Kelley D. Tuck

“And so, since God in His mercy has given us this wonderful ministry, we never give up.”
2 Corinthians 4:1 (NLT)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]