FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Compressor stops @ 99% !!!!!!!GGrrrr.....

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Welch
Apple Compressor stops @ 99% !!!!!!!GGrrrr.....
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:47:27 am

I have only forced myself to use Compressor on rare occasion, however have found myself required to author a few DVD's this week. Multiple projects. Recorded at 1280x720, then down-converted using compressor. For the record, I HAVE attempted to make a self contained quicktime first, then encode...to no avail.

I successfully got project 1 of 2 out yesterday, workflow went like this:

(From FCP) "Send to: Compressor" Select destination/compression settings. Submit batch (3 different timelines to be encoded." In this instance, Compressor successfully completed all but one of the three videos to be compressed, the first time. I had to resubmit the smallest clip of the three, a second time. Compressor than completed the job.

Next project (2 of 2)

Submitted two timelines to be encoded, via FCP>File>Send to>Compressor. First video encoded, second video got to 98% after 12 hours. Cancel encode, resubmit. Additional attempt....got to 99% after 3 hours. For third attempt, I first exported the clip as a "self-contained" quicktime file. Took that file into compressor, same result: 99% @ 3 hours.

It seems that my only experiences with Compressor have been this way. Crazy long encode times, and can't depend on it to finish any job I leave for it overnight.

Here are the stats:

Macbook Pro 2.2 intel core 2 Duo,
4GB RAM,
OSX 10.5.8
500GB Drive w/140GB available.
Graid 2TB Drive w/1.35TB available, all media held here.

FCP 6.0.6
Compressor 3.0.5

Adam Welch

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Apple Compressor stops @ 99% !!!!!!!GGrrrr.....
on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:25:53 pm

Take a deep breath and never, and I said NEVER ever send a job to Compressor ever again. Ever.

From the timeline, mark your in and out and if you hit the End key to get to the end of the timeline, left arrow back one frame so you are parked on the last frame, not on the beginning of the next frame which is nothing and mark your out.

Then simply Export Quicktime Movie and make self contained.

Drag this file to Compressor and all will be well.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Adam Welch
Re: Apple Compressor stops @ 99% !!!!!!!GGrrrr.....
on Dec 17, 2010 at 4:34:58 pm

Eh,...I tried that route, same result. I even ran a short (10 second) test clip, that finished successfully, followed by the entire timeline again, and it stopped short again. Starting to think I have a hardawre/software problem.

I took it to my old boss\'s office, and compressor (on his computer) finished it the fist time.

I uninstalled/reinstalled compressor & qmaster, and now neither application will open. Bought ready to throw this brick in the river...

Adam Welch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]