FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using compressor to create a 180 minute DVD from VHS

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Using compressor to create a 180 minute DVD from VHS
on Dec 7, 2010 at 1:53:16 pm

Hi,

Converted some files across to my hard drive using Elgato Video Capture.

I asked for the file in H.264 not MP4 (although end file is .mp4?).

Was using toast to convert the file to MPEG-2 for DVD use, but wasn't greatly impressed with the results.

So I am using compressor instead. A couple of questions though.

1. Compressor only has a setting up to 150 minutes. Do I use this?

2. How does Compressor understand the estimated minutes in the encoder section? i.e. when you change the bit-rate, the estimate at the bottom of the screen changes. I am a little confused as I know a dual layer disk will allow up to 8.5GB. But at 2.7 Mbps it comes in at 147 minutes, but only 4.27 GB. Surely this means I can up the bit-rate significantly getting better quality as I am going to burn to dual layer?

3. What does it mean when it says 'allows 145 minutes/layers of video on "DVD-S" - I'm burning to a DVD+R...

4. They are all shot 4:3 and Elgato has transferred the file to a 640x480 aspect ratio. But compressors standard setting is 720x576 - do I need to change this to match the file? i.e. 640x480?

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Using compressor to create a 180 minute DVD from VHS
on Dec 7, 2010 at 5:46:43 pm

I think the easiest way to make a DVD (or encode MPEG-2) from a long VHS is to simply connect the VHS to a DVD Recorder. Set the DVD recorder to a record length that matches the tape and let 'er rip.

Could not be easier.

Then use MPEG Streamclip to demux the MPEG2 and AC3 files to your drive if you need to author them further.

This is by far the simplest solution.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
Re: Using compressor to create a 180 minute DVD from VHS
on Dec 7, 2010 at 6:29:24 pm

Hi,

Sorry, never done this before, so not sure what you mean. You mean the recorder as my hard drive? I'm doing this already. At the mo, the file is being saved to my hard drive as a MP4 and then converting it out to MPEG 2 to burn to DVD.

I may be expecting miracles here, but I have followed the following process and the end product is not as good as I expected.

1. Use elgato to convert a VHS to H.264 - which strangely comes out as a MP4...?

2. Use toast to convert to DVD dual layer.

On a 42' LCD TV, the picture looks very pixulated. The resolution appears to be 640 x 480. I guess this is standard VHS resolution? I cannot try on a smaller CRT TV unfortunately.

When I used compressor to create the MPEG-2. Worked fine on a small short VHS (30 mins) but keeps crashing DVD Pro now I have tried with a larger almost 3 hour (down to 8.7 GB with bit rate of 5.0)

Any suggestions welcome.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]